Side Radiators blocked

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
last week i noticed a "coolant low - refill" warning ... naturally i topped up then set about finding the reason.... and again "its a typical BMW issue" the rubber on the cap had pinched so venting over a period of time .... a bit of silicone and a cleanup fixed it.

but .. i also checked the radiators for possible leaks only to find both SIDE radiators 50% blocked with straw... what happens is that blades of straw hit the radiator and fall horizontally and then are kept from naturally falling out but a plastic grill in front of the radiator.
Its a PITA to removed the blades of straw....

I will remove the bumper and cut out the LOWER plastic sections of the side rad covers this will allow the straw and debris to fall out naturally or allow much easier removal manually..
Sponsored

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Great post - glad someone else finally talking about this, I asked weeks ago but no one answered/cared.
Mind sharing some photos of before and after if you have a chance?
I was looking at a similar thing for the bug splatter as well which is crazy where I live in the countryside.

It is very hard to find a good safe radiator coil cleaner online, impossible in a shop (UK) and there's no way in hell I'm removing the bumper. I made some dyi long "toothpicks" and manually removed as much as I could, buy like you said, big PITA. Pressure washing the radiatior is a no-go as you'll make more damage than benefit to the delicate fins.

Conscious cars are designed to take quite a lot but over time the build up must have a detrimental effect on airflow restriction.

*Edit: just realized you're also UK based 👍🏻