First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020

AA4237E2-C5AC-4CDC-BDE7-AC0A9C6A43FF.jpeg
I
just had my new steering wheel installed yesterday and I now noticed that volume up and down doesn’t work and is all loose.
Also the microphone button is too far pushed in.

Obviously I’m gonna take it back to the place that installed it but has this ever happened to any of you? Since this is a separate module that we didn’t open then I don’t really know what went wrong. Maybe it broke when he pulled out the airbag and something inside the button module got loose.
Just looking for hints what it might be and if it is now broken.
Sponsored

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Didn't happen to me but I did my install @ home. Kinda lost faith in a bunch of shops lol, nobody will take care of your car how you will.

Theres no way the airbag broke that part, unless they tried forcing that piece off first, airbag comes off first and sits on top of the screws needed to remove the steering wheel buttons, which come off in all one piece. I'm not sure how they even did that if i'm being honest

OP
OP
Tri5tate

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
Didn't happen to me but I did my install @ home. Kinda lost faith in a bunch of shops lol, nobody will take care of your car how you will.

Theres no way the airbag broke that part, unless they tried forcing that piece off first, airbag comes off first and sits on top of the screws needed to remove the steering wheel buttons, which come off in all one piece. I'm not sure how they even did that if i'm being honest
I’m also clueless 😂 but yeah I should’ve had the courage to do it myself. But I still think this is fixable without having to buy a new piece.

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah truly comes down to what they did lol, seems like the spring for the button behind it isn’t there or something

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I don't understand how they fucked up. I did the install 4 days ago and removing the controls is one of the easiest parts. You unscrew it from the back and then it simply pops out. Yeah, you do have to pop it back in, but you don't need to force it or anything.

Maybe they dropped it? Hope they fix it, man.

OP
OP
Tri5tate

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
I don't understand how they fucked up. I did the install 4 days ago and removing the controls is one of the easiest parts. You unscrew it from the back and then it simply pops out. Yeah, you do have to pop it back in, but you don't need to force it or anything.

Maybe they dropped it? Hope they fix it, man.
I don’t know either man. Probably maybe dropped it or it got a hit and something got loose. I’m pretty sure it’s fixable though. Never heard anybody else this happened to. Of course it’s gonna happen to me 😂

JoeO86

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Ram Laramie
I don’t know either man. Probably maybe dropped it or it got a hit and something got loose. I’m pretty sure it’s fixable though. Never heard anybody else this happened to. Of course it’s gonna happen to me 😂
I’m having the same exact problem and it has to with the screw and and being tightened down. When I pop the plastic off the buttons are fine. As soon as I put the screw back in to hold the plastic down the buttons stop working.

OP
OP
Tri5tate

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
I’m having the same exact problem and it has to with the screw and and being tightened down. When I pop the plastic off the buttons are fine. As soon as I put the screw back in to hold the plastic down the buttons stop working.
you mean the screw that’s holding the button piece?
Are your buttons not loose when the screw isn’t fully tightened?

So the solution is to not fully tighten the screw?
It’s so weird since the left side of buttons work dine

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0

I had the same issue when installing my wheel as the OP...

Just turning the screw loose by less than a full rotation fixed the buttons for me. Personally I didn't put the airbag back until I knew everything was working and fit proper to avoid situations like this. only way to fix it for the OP is to remove the airbag and paddle shifter on the loose button side in order to loosen the screw a little. Hope this helps

JoeO86

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Ram Laramie

Yes exactly. The volume buttons worked fine before installing. Just try back the screw off a bit. You will have remove the airbag again to do this as Avarela99 said.

OP
OP
Tri5tate

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
I had the same issue when installing my wheel as the OP...

Just turning the screw loose by less than a full rotation fixed the buttons for me. Personally I didn't put the airbag back until I knew everything was working and fit proper to avoid situations like this. only way to fix it for the OP is to remove the airbag and paddle shifter on the loose button side in order to loosen the screw a little. Hope this helps
Yes exactly. The volume buttons worked fine before installing. Just try back the screw off a bit. You will have remove the airbag again to do this as Avarela99 said.
thanks alot for the tips guys! Hopefully this solves the problem. Gonna try it this week 👍
Sponsored