Stock Exhaust Sounds Different

dkim3

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91 2021
We got a sudden cold front down here in the Atl region so temps are between 50-70. For a few days, I've noticed that the exhaust note/sound has dwindled down a bit. During summer temps, in sport mode, the exhaust would sound loud with the burbles in downshifts and some loud shotgun pops when driving aggressively. But now, when downshifting, I'm not getting as much burbles and the sound just seems neutered.

Question is, does outdoor temp have an effect on exhaust note?
*Always run on Sport mode on.

Thank you
Sponsored

KBG

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Have you checked to see that the valve on the passenger side is opening up? Granted I'm running a DP and have my valve open 100% of the time (BMW module), I haven't noticed anything out of the norm.

OP
OP
dkim3

dkim3

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91 2021
Have you checked to see that the valve on the passenger side is opening up? Granted I'm running a DP and have my valve open 100% of the time (BMW module), I haven't noticed anything out of the norm.
I was able to take a picture of the passenger side exhaust and do see that the valve is opening. If that valve opening looks fine, then I think I am being too paranoid.
20210924_121845.jpg

OP
OP
dkim3

dkim3

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91 2021
What kind of temp drop are you talking?
Outdoor temp as of 09/24 is averaging 75 F. The start of Sept the avg temp was 85 F. So not sure if a 10 degree drop effects exhaust note.
Car is always garaged so the startup temp is indoor garage temp (75-80 F).

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Huh, so not a huge drop. We went through the same cold front (I'm in the Lexington, KY area), and while the Supra is pulled apart right now, my truck (lightly-modified '21 Tacoma) definitely does sound different (has an intake and exhaust). Materials contract and expand, gases flow at different rates, etc. Nothing that made me worry. When I got the Supra at the end of '20 it was already cool, but I didn't notice a difference in the way the vehicle sounded once it got warm outside the following spring. I think I was just happy for the warmer weather. ?

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
We got a sudden cold front down here in the Atl region so temps are between 50-70. For a few days, I've noticed that the exhaust note/sound has dwindled down a bit. During summer temps, in sport mode, the exhaust would sound loud with the burbles in downshifts and some loud shotgun pops when driving aggressively. But now, when downshifting, I'm not getting as much burbles and the sound just seems neutered.

Question is, does outdoor temp have an effect on exhaust note?
*Always run on Sport mode on.

Thank you
come to the a90 meet in Atlanta on Sunday and compare it with others there. lol

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
By the way, it’s been a huge drop in ATL, It was in the high 70’s to 80’s and now nights has been dropping down to 50’s and mornings has been in 60’s. Usually when it’s colder, the exhaust would be alittle louder. Car always runs bit more rich and you will see more boost(psi) with cooler IAT’s.

Car will also feel like it pulls a lot harder…

kyippee

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2022 M235
Seems like normal behavior. Both my Supra and M3 are louder when the exhaust and car overall are hot. For example, after a long drive or after at least 10 minutes of driving on a race track.

Very noticeable on my M3.

OP
OP
dkim3

dkim3

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91 2021
Seems like normal behavior. Both my Supra and M3 are louder when the exhaust and car overall are hot. For example, after a long drive or after at least 10 minutes of driving on a race track.

Very noticeable on my M3.
I just came back from a long errand (2 hour drive total). I noticed that the exhaust sounded louder and more noticeable once I drove the car for a bit. I would say after about 30 min driving in sport mode (local driving, no highway), the car sounded better. Agree that when the car gets more warmed up, the exhaust sounds better.
Sponsored