Swapping built axles in driveway?

mkvB58KING

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I have DSS axles on order, they are about 2.5 weeks out. They are going to send them to me, and asked that I send mine back at the same time. I'm curious how difficult this job is in the driveway? Local shops don't seem interested in taking the task on, and I'm running short on time. Would appreciate any insight, and as a follow up question - are any new parts required from Toyota before I begin the process? Thank you
Sponsored

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
@zrk

I think there are some single use bolts if I'm not mistaken.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
The axle bolts are single-use. There is a "special tool" from BMW to remove the axle from the diff, but I've never actually used it.

Be careful with the suspension bits as always, don't crush anything. It's definitely doable in a drive way. I have a link to the service manual as well. DM me if you need it.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Remove your wheel sensors. They will break if you don’t.

I did them in my driveway, pita but possible in a couple hours

TYMBOM

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91, Trackhawk, Golf R
The axle bolts are single-use. There is a "special tool" from BMW to remove the axle from the diff, but I've never actually used it.

Be careful with the suspension bits as always, don't crush anything. It's definitely doable in a drive way. I have a link to the service manual as well. DM me if you need it.
Hi @zrk , can you send me the manual please? My car is parked and my axles have arrived.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I had to do it on other BMW rear axle earlier in my driveway... Pulling the axle out can be harder than putting it in because rear half axle is fitted with a ring at the end of diff side.. took me 3 days and bought many axle removal tools... I hope it's not as hard for you but definitely recommend having a help who has done any axle removal. the axle I bought at the time came with axle bolt so it may come with new axle. check with vendor before ordering a new one. also, you will need a hex key to unbolt axle bolt, preferably impact.

OP
OP
mkvB58KING

mkvB58KING

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
It isn't easy, I ended up having it done at a shop and I watched them remove and replace. There is zero chance I was doing that myself in the driveway. YMMV, I like to think I'm handy with a wrench but that was beyond my comfort level for sure.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
def doable at home. Hell, i've watched a few guys swap them at the track a few years ago.
Sponsored