To Mod or Not to Mod

KRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 GR Supra 45th Anniversary Edition
Hey guys, I'm a new owner of the 2024 45th Anniversary Edition Supra. I'm pretty new to cars in general so I apologize in advance for any ignorance. I see a lot of Supra owners with very unique and exciting builds and I want to modify my own Supra as well. My dilemma is that in the future I might decide to sell this Supra, and I was wondering if personal modifications made to the vehicle will hurt the chances of finding a buyer as well as the price I am able to sell it for. With this in mind, is it safe to go ahead with modifying this special edition Supra or is it best to keep everything stock? Thank you all very much for your time and advice in advance.
Sponsored

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
Hey guys, I'm a new owner of the 2024 45th Anniversary Edition Supra. I'm pretty new to cars in general so I apologize in advance for any ignorance. I see a lot of Supra owners with very unique and exciting builds and I want to modify my own Supra as well. My dilemma is that in the future I might decide to sell this Supra, and I was wondering if personal modifications made to the vehicle will hurt the chances of finding a buyer as well as the price I am able to sell it for. With this in mind, is it safe to go ahead with modifying this special edition Supra or is it best to keep everything stock? Thank you all very much for your time and advice in advance.
Did you finance or lease?

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
That depends. Usually modifications don't add value. However, if you find the right buyer looking for the exact same mods they may pay the premium for convenience.

Special editions as of now don't command much over msrp if anything at all ie launch edition and a91 edtion (2021). Maybe the manual version is doing a bit better because of the limited color and manual option in the US.

You could do reversible mods ie exhaust, downpipe, lip kit etc and remove it when selling.

If you're planning to keep the car long term/ drive lots. Just have fun and mod it.

OP
OP
KRSupra

KRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 GR Supra 45th Anniversary Edition
That depends. Usually modifications don't add value. However, if you find the right buyer looking for the exact same mods they may pay the premium for convenience.

Special editions as of now don't command much over msrp if anything at all ie launch edition and a91 edtion (2021). Maybe the manual version is doing a bit better because of the limited color and manual option in the US.

You could do reversible mods ie exhaust, downpipe, lip kit etc and remove it when selling.

If you're planning to keep the car long term/ drive lots. Just have fun and mod it.
I think I like the idea of doing reversible mods for now. I do want to own this car long term however I just want to be prepared for the circumstance in which I might have to sell this car.

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
Depends what you're after. Power or cosmetics or both.

Power, doesn't need much. Dp + tune and you're good imo.

FluffyMangoes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra 3.0
id say mod your car but have an independent shop do all your maintenance (if you cant do them yourself) and dont bring it to Toyota dealership modded especially if its tuned.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I keep my stock parts.. when it comes time to sell, I will decide whether to return it to stock or just sell as-is with the stock parts in the trunk. Unfortunately with the Supra, the stock exhaust won't fit once removed from the car..

Scoopra

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 premium
Sell it now. It'll likely never be worth more than it is now. If you're worried about what the next guy wants you won't enjoy it while it's yours.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Sell it now. It'll likely never be worth more than it is now. If you're worried about what the next guy wants you won't enjoy it while it's yours.
If its one of the last 100% ICE supras then I dont see why prices wouldn't go up over time. Who would think old 90s early 2000 MT cars would go up in value in the last 5 years, but they have.

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
I modded mine because i feel like this car is wayyy more enjoyable modified. In stock form the car is honestly lackluster to me. When it comes time to sell I’ll be removing all the parts expect the tune and downpipe everything else will be put to stock and the parts will be sold here.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
I think I like the idea of doing reversible mods for now. I do want to own this car long term however I just want to be prepared for the circumstance in which I might have to sell this car.
Here is the thing with financing versus leasing and doing modifications. If you had a lease and returned it in 3 years to Toyota there is a 50/50 chance Toyota like BMW, could detect the DME or ECU having been modified in the past. Since you are financing, I wouldn't worry about it so much because you could easily trade it in at a Honda dealership for your next car or sell it private party and nobody would know. Keep your stock parts in case one day in the future you wanna go back to stock to sell. If you're trading it in, there are dealerships who don't care about you trading in a car with a downpipe or those types of modifications because they'll just put it back to stock or even sell as is on their lot.

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘20 M4 CS, ‘24 GR Supra 45th LE
I too own a 45th Anniversary Supra. That also means like you it’s been less than two months, since I was the first forum member to get their car. I’ve just cleared 2200 miles on mine now.

this is what’s been installed:
15% tint
Ceramic coating
BMS 13mm/15mm spacers
MST v2 Intake
Active Autowerke catted downpipe
Active Autowerke catback
Cusco front sway bar
MSS Height Adjustable Springs
Rexspeed anti-buffet mirror foils
Rexspeed Interior Carbon
NVS Interior Carbon
Race Eng Shift Knob
Tadda’s subwoofer port/deadening fix
Various coding with BimmerCode
OEM+ Mods open hoot vents
OEM+ Mods open bumper vents

this is what has been ordered and will be installed next when I return from a vacation next month:
Advan GT Premium 19” Staggered in Hyper Black/Machined
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 305/35R19
Rexspeed V2 F1 light/reverse light
More Rexspeed Interior Carbon
Berktuning Carbon/Alcantara steering wheel
Berktuning Alcantara shift boot
Cusco rear sway bar.
Street Hunter v2 Wing. (Yes, removing the OEM wing, might be cheaper to just buy another hatch)

this is what I’m ordering next and installing in spring:
Femto Unlock
DAW big turbo
Upgraded clutch
OEM Audio+ and Orella Audio upgrades

You’re more than free to leave yours stock and enjoy it in your own way. I’ll do the same in my way.

Life is too short for stock cars, especially when for me, I have a blood cancer that means I know for certain that I will expire sooner.

I will add that if I could only do two things to the car it would be springs and full exhaust/catback. They combined have made the car significantly more enjoyable to drive and it handles so damn well now that it finally feels like a sports car worthy of a special badge like GR.
Sponsored

Last edited: