Tomei Type R Exhaust Question

ry0de

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I’m about to get this exhaust installed and was wondering if it’ll throw a CEL since there is no valve. I read online that there’s exhaust valve simulators, but I was wondering if I really need that.
Sponsored

Z28gm02

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 Premium / 2020 4Runner TRD OR
I’m about to get this exhaust installed and was wondering if it’ll throw a CEL since there is no valve. I read online that there’s exhaust valve simulators, but I was wondering if I really need that.
I installed the Tomei Type R last year on my 2023 GR Supra 3.0 Premium. No CEL.

Tomei Type R.jpg

Razors Edge

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
No issues in almost 2 years since buying mine. I have the duel outlet, but overall the same. I keep hearing people say prone to cracking from over 2+ years ago, and have yet to see a single post with an actual person or picture showing it. It amazes me the regurgitation that happens without proof sometimes.

71281353345__1D1CE5F6-C8E1-4635-84DE-7707D0113D8E.jpeg
712D37EA-D47B-4B1C-8A82-717C4F00E1AE.jpeg

OP
OP

ry0de

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I installed the Tomei Type R last year on my 2023 GR Supra 3.0 Premium. No CEL.

Tomei Type R.jpg
What’d you do to the valve sensor? Did you just tuck it in somewhere?

Z28gm02

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What’d you do to the valve sensor? Did you just tuck it in somewhere?
Yes, I covered and zip tied the valve sensor underneath where it cannot get wet. The angle of the muffler making it look low is by design to show off the nice bluing of the titanium. Its lowest point is the same level as the lowest point of the differential fins. Type R fitment is perfect. The Type D fitment is the one that is supposed to be more challenging. I chose the Type R as an homage to the MKIV. The sound is more throaty, more aggressive than stock. Do not upgrade if you are concerned about cabin noise. The entire kit weighs 11 pounds versus the stock which is 60-70 pounds. No issues. No cracking ............. so far.

CarChickMK5

First Name
Jillian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 04 Is300 Manual, 94 Turbo B16 EG6
All titanium could be prone to cracked welds when it's as thin as exhaust systems are using (looks like 22g to me)
Heat cycling very thin metal of any type will cause cracking. Most stainless systems are 14g, that's 3 times thicker than 22g, stainless is also very heavy.

I've had a type-D on my car for 30k miles and had to issues at all. Just sounds great. You can tuck the valve actuator by itself up above the panel between the rear passenger tire and bumper. It's safe and dry. Theres no need for some valve sim or whatever. No codes cuz it's still plugged in. And as far as something reasonable, it's priced pretty competitively for what you're getting. Good luck, enjoy whatever you get!

OP
OP

ry0de

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Yes, I covered and zip tied the valve sensor underneath where it cannot get wet. The angle of the muffler making it look low is by design to show off the nice bluing of the titanium. Its lowest point is the same level as the lowest point of the differential fins. Type R fitment is perfect. The Type D fitment is the one that is supposed to be more challenging. I chose the Type R as an homage to the MKIV. The sound is more throaty, more aggressive than stock. Do not upgrade if you are concerned about cabin noise. The entire kit weighs 11 pounds versus the stock which is 60-70 pounds. No issues. No cracking ............. so far.
Did yours drone at 80+ mph?

Z28gm02

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
At 80mph plus, the cabin drone from the Type R along with the turbo and engine sound is loud but not annoying. I like it. At high speeds, I hear/feel a cool short buzz sound during up shifts from the Type R. It's very nice.

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
I tried another exhaust custom made which didn't use the valves no CEL.