• Total voters

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Does anyone know how the insurance company determines the buy back value?
Sponsored

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Does anyone know how the insurance company determines the buy back value?
May differ on your state and insurance company, but my adjuster said value of car minus repair cost. Sometimes it can be good, not worth it, or you're kind of force to buy back and do the repairs because they give you pennies on the dollar.

State Farm
05 SLK w/ 36k value at $10.5k. Repair quote $8k = $2.5k buy back. Body guy said he could fix it for $3k. So $5.5k for a running car and pocket $5k if we had kept it. Sold on IAAI for $4k.

01 Sequoia w/ 135k value at $7k. Repair quote $5k = $2k buy back. Body guy wanted $3k. It was hit pretty bad plus higher mileage so we totaled it out. Sold on Copart for $2k.

This one is a little different. The adjuster from Progressive said the repair cost was more than the value of the car. She did car value minus junk yard offer.

93 N/A rebuilt title Supra w/300k. Value at $4k. Junk yard offered $2k. Body guy fixed it for $600 and I pocketed $1.4k. Lesson, don't buy a NA rebuilt Supra.

Did you ask how much the buy back would be?
OP said they value his car at $47k and the repair quote was $40k, assuming they calculated it the same as my cars we should have a $7k buy back?

OP
OP
gdi2290

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I already decided not to go with buyback so I didn't ask