Trunk Adhesive Under Molding Coming Out

xplizitremix

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91, 2018 FK8
Anyone check their trunk lining the edge where the molding meets the rear bumper, my adhesive seems to be doing the BMW thing where its melting or coming off. Is this covered by warranty? Will upload a photo to follow this post.

Not sure what is going on with it, it doesn't see direct sunlight so I'm unsure why it's doing this

IMG_4340.jpeg

IMG_4341.jpeg
Sponsored

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
Wouldn't Toyota be applying this adhesive? I used to use 3M 847 Nitrile High Performance Rubber and Gasket Adhesive on my catch can manifold gaskets. In over 10 years, I've never had any debonding issues. The key to a lasting bond is to clean the bonding surface very well.

OP
OP
xplizitremix

xplizitremix

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91, 2018 FK8
Wouldn't Toyota be applying this adhesive? I used to use 3M 847 Nitrile High Performance Rubber and Gasket Adhesive on my catch can manifold gaskets. In over 10 years, I've never had any debonding issues. The key to a lasting bond is to clean the bonding surface very well.

Yeah thats my point seems now its a pain in the ass to clean this up.. don't think it affects anything but aesthetically is really displeasing and i'm just wondering why they used this trash adhesive for the molding.

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Mine did not have that until after I had the rear bumper replaced by Toyota collission shop. Afterwards I am experiencing the same issue as you've described and documented. You can lift the edge of the rubber and use some compound like goo-gone or the likes to remove whatever is bleeding out.

OP
OP
xplizitremix

xplizitremix

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91, 2018 FK8
I dont believe that those rubber weather strips are usually held in place with adhesive. Did your car sustain body damage and get fixed at a shop by the dealer perhaps?
Mine did not have that until after I had the rear bumper replaced by Toyota collission shop. Afterwards I am experiencing the same issue as you've described and documented. You can lift the edge of the rubber and use some compound like goo-gone or the likes to remove whatever is bleeding out.
No my car had a clean car fax, it had 1500 km and sold by the dealer
Unless there is something they didn't tell me

OP
OP
xplizitremix

xplizitremix

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91, 2018 FK8
I dont believe that those rubber weather strips are usually held in place with adhesive. Did your car sustain body damage and get fixed at a shop by the dealer perhaps?
Is there any photos of how it should look like underneath?
Just seems odd

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Is there any photos of how it should look like underneath?
Just seems odd
Depends on the damage. If it was damage during transport and under certain dollar value they don't need to report anything.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
Yeah thats my point seems now its a pain in the ass to clean this up.. don't think it affects anything but aesthetically is really displeasing and i'm just wondering why they used this trash adhesive for the molding.
Isn't it still under warranty? I would think that the best person to fix it would be the Toyota-certified auto body repair shop. I'm sure shops like that do this all the time.
Sponsored