SemtexGT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M340i 2020
Hi guys!

I've been debating these aftermarket air filters all day long. One the one hand, I love the air wooshing noise an open air cone makes, but on the other, I don't want to have my turbo sandblasted due to bad filtration in the long run.

To the guys which have air filters on their cars, what was your experience like with aftermarket air filters and engine longevity?
Sponsored

Batlwagn

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I'm a little older(38) and I've spent the better part of the last 20 years modifying my vehicles. I've had aftermarket intakes on cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc. In my opinion its all about maintenance. If you have an OEM or aftermarket intake the filter should be cleaned or replaced at regular intervals regardless. So as long as you maintain your vehicle I don't see any long term downside.

OP
OP

SemtexGT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M340i 2020
I'm a little older(38) and I've spent the better part of the last 20 years modifying my vehicles. I've had aftermarket intakes on cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc. In my opinion its all about maintenance. If you have an OEM or aftermarket intake the filter should be cleaned or replaced at regular intervals regardless. So as long as you maintain your vehicle I don't see any long term downside.
Thanks for the reply, really eased my nerves.
I'm only 22 and I've got pretty much no experience with tuning cars, I only know the theory. I've got an MST dry air filter. I'll clean it or even change it at 10.000km (I think that's reasonable?)

Batlwagn

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Thanks for the reply, really eased my nerves.
I'm only 22 and I've got pretty much no experience with tuning cars, I only know the theory. I've got an MST dry air filter. I'll clean it or even change it at 10.000km (I think that's reasonable?)
Everyone's situation is different. For example: I have to drive about 400m down a gravel road to get to my house. I would likely need to service or replace my air filter more frequently(10,000k) than someone who lives in a more urban area. A general rule is to inspect it at each oil change interval. Based on what you find you may elect to clean or replace the filter or leave it until the next service.
Sponsored