What do you think of the Miata?

TX2.0

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra, '19 XT4, Club Car Precedent
I had a British Racing Green 1990 numbered special edition.
Only car I paid over MSRP. Kept it for 10 years and traded for an Audi TT.
I really wish I still had both.
Sponsored

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I absolutely love the look of the MX-5 RF which is basically a targa top. I think the Miata has its niche and executes well in that niche: a tiny, nimble convertible roadster. It's totally a fun car as long as raw power isn't a priority for you.

Comparing to the Supra feels really apples to oranges. They are cars with very different priorities and price points.

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
^^^Nice! Would love to try the Recaro seats as the normal seats are not great. I assume there is still no lumbar adjustment in the Recaros?
I can actually compare the Cloth OE vs the Recaro ones.

Mine was a 2017 so at the time, Recaro's weren't an option in the Miata's, so mine had the stock cloth seats. I then found a crashed Fiat 124 spider with the Recaro's at a junkyard and paid $800 for the pair with airbags (an absolute steal)! Everything bolted right up and plugged into the stock harness (airbag, headrest speaker, and even had heated seats; alls i had to do was purchase the OE heated seat switches as it's already prewired in the car).

Correct, no lumber. Comfort wise it's exactly the same as the OE Cloth [maybe a tad bit stiffer?], the only difference was that it hugged you better, though this could be an issue larger people. Oddly enough, the Recaro's are heavier than the Cloth ones.

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
I had a 2017 MX5 RF Club Sport (ND1) (Before the recaros unfortunately). I loved the car, i traded it in for the Supra and every so often look back and regret my decision. Don't get me wrong, the supra is a great car but tossing around the Miata was fun, it felt great (other than the body roll from oem suspension).

It's one of those cars that feels great to take it through its paces and very forgiving. Great feedback and you can definitely feel the limits of the car. It also was very predictable where you always felt comfortable driving it.

I was am a Mazda guy, 2x FD RX7's, an RX8, had a Mazdaspeed6, went through two generations of Mazda 6 and CX9. Told myself that the only Supra i would get is the A91 Refraction Blue and the stars just aligned but i will eventually get another ND2 MX5 RF.

Also, a lot of people hate the Miata/MX5 but those people haven't ever driven one. Just saying. My ND1 was my first Miata and i was bitten by the bug where I almost pulled the trigger on getting an NB2 and NC2. Don't talk smack until you've driven one :)

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
As compared to what? ā€œWhat do you think of the Miataā€ is an open-ended question. If youā€™re asking what I think of the Miata compared to the MKV Supra?ā€¦.there is no comparison, the Supra is better in almost every way. However, if youā€™re asking what I think of the Miata compared to other 2dr, 4cyl turbo, convertible, roadstersā€¦.itā€™s one hell of a deal!

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
I had an 18 ND1 with BBS/Recaro. I had an exhaust and a tune and coilovers. Car handled well, but I owned too many higher horsepower cars and I really missed more power and the 4cylinder exhaust did nothing for me.

Lots to like, but I didnā€™t want to do down the forced induction route.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
I owned a '17 MX-5 RF which was very nimble and a blast to drive in the twisties, but gutless as hell...Then a '18 C7 Corvette which was fast but not very nimble...And now a Supra which I call my Goldilocks sports car that's both fast and nimble!

My '17 MX-5 RF - Nimble but gutless

My '18 C7 Vette - Not nimble but fast

My '20 Supra - Nimble and fast and just perfect!
Nice. I had a 16 C7 Z51 w/magride. Agreed, at had good power but it felt big and sometimes unrefined.

Also briefly had an ND Miata but was not for me.

Supra is just right. Nimble and fast. It feels like a true purpose built sports car.

Guardbuddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Miatas are amazing, I always give them a wave when I am on the road =)
Sponsored