Why is picking an oil so difficult with this car.

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
I e been reading an it appears that the car needs an oil with German specs, some type of LL this or that, I also saw it could use a C5 oil.

i can’t seem to get s straight answer on if what Im using is ok.

im using Castrol Edge synthetic 0-20. I don’t see it mentioned much at all here but it is.a C5 from what I can tell.

do I need to dump this and get another oil?
Sponsored

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
There are very few oils with the C5 and LL17FE+ specs. Toyota GR, BMW TPT, Liqui Moly TopTec 6600, and Motul 8100 have the appropriate certs. I haven’t found any others yet.

I personally ordered a bunch of BMW TPT from FCP Euro.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So am I to understand I may be doing damage with only a C5 rating?

TimM.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra premium
So am I to understand I may be doing damage with only a C5 rating?
No, you're good. If it's the castrol edge at this link, it has both the SN Plus and C5 rating. Pretty much, the C5 rating is the one that definitely protects our stock catalytic converters but it's not clear that we need that protection. The SN plus rating protects direct injection cars from pre-ignition and ensures our valves stay clean of oil deposits that seep past the seals now that detergent rich fuel doesn't pass over and clean the valves.

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...astrol-edge-brand/castrol-edge.html#tab_0w-20

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thank you very much Tim. That is the oil I used.

This is the most expensive car, and first BMW engine I’ve owned. I’ve heard horror stories about maintenance and warranty claims so I want to make sure I stick to the prescribes oils. I only put about 5000 miles a year, and in that year I’ll change the oil twice, usually. I was just nervous bearing or ring failure could result with the wrong oil, though I’m sure that’s a bit over reaching. My car is just a daily, I don’t race though I do go to redline at least once a day.

JimmyA91

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Soon & 2018 Ram
There are very few oils with the C5 and LL17FE+ specs. Toyota GR, BMW TPT, Liqui Moly TopTec 6600, and Motul 8100 have the appropriate certs. I haven’t found any others yet.

I personally ordered a bunch of BMW TPT from FCP Euro.
Can you send me a link to the oil you purchased. I was on their site and had some struggles. I want to make sure I get the same one.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tim has the link right above my last response in this thread.

serialbooper

First Name
Kyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
i have done several blackstone reports on different kinds of oil with track and daily use.

redline 5w-30
motul x-cess gen2 5w-40
factory fill oil
Pennzoil platinum 5w-30 euro

just in my opinion from the reports, these cars haven't been sensitive to oil. bmw used 5w-30 as a factory fill with the b58. i just prefer the protection of 5w-30 hths levels with hard use. anything that has an SN rating should be good honestly. just food for thought if you want to change to a different brand down the road from Castrol.

JimmyA91

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Soon & 2018 Ram
i have done several blackstone reports on different kinds of oil with track and daily use.

redline 5w-30
motul x-cess gen2 5w-40
factory fill oil
Pennzoil platinum 5w-30 euro

just in my opinion from the reports, these cars haven't been sensitive to oil. bmw used 5w-30 as a factory fill with the b58. i just prefer the protection of 5w-30 hths levels with hard use. anything that has an SN rating should be good honestly. just food for thought if you want to change to a different brand down the road from Castrol.
What was the outcome with the different brands?

supradupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra (soon)
its not Rotella T6 5w-40 and let her eat....lots of bmw guys run rotella with great results

serialbooper

First Name
Kyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
What was the outcome with the different brands?
the redline oil technically performed the best, after heavy track use it hadn't sheared at all. TBN was high but due to not running the oil long even though it was heavily beaten on.

honestly the rest of them had around the same results. after every oil change every report came back with virtually no wear, or excessive oil. if i had to rank them i would go for motul or redline before Pennzoil.

my opinion is as long as you have a HTHS oil above 3.5, especially when tracking you cant go wrong, the 0w-20 factory oil is pure EPA politics. i have seen someone on this forum use Walmart supertech oil and came back with good results lol, just high lead from using race fuel from the track (normal)

Travelingsoldier

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 2.5RS, 2003 WRX, 2005 STI, 2012 WRX, 2017 Hobie Tandem Island
its not Rotella T6 5w-40 and let her eat....lots of bmw guys run rotella with great results
I t6 in my wrx. Great oil and affordable. So I can run this in my Supra?

2Cool

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium 3.0
Normally would run Rotella, but went with Pennzoil Platinum Euro SAE 0W-40 Full Synthetic, which meets SN and VW 505.00 spec, which indicates reduced carbon deposits for direct injected engines.

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I e been reading an it appears that the car needs an oil with German specs, some type of LL this or that, I also saw it could use a C5 oil.

i can’t seem to get s straight answer on if what Im using is ok.

im using Castrol Edge synthetic 0-20. I don’t see it mentioned much at all here but it is.a C5 from what I can tell.

do I need to dump this and get another oil?
I feel your pain. I myself use Royal Purple oil at 5-20. I used it on past cars like the 15 Evo and regular Toyota brands like my Tc.

I never had an issue with them and still use it after 10 years. Just use the recommended weight from manual if you feel unsure and try a brand that is highly recommended that car will take.

Mcoimpact

First Name
Bailey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 318ti Club Sport 1999 Wrangler Sahara, 2009 C
It's dead easy to select the proper oil; simply use the correct Longlife spec- in this case it's Longlife-17 FE+.
Most of the "horror stories" are third or fourth hand internet hearsay repeated by envious simpletons who have yet to even sit in a BMW. I've owned 12 BMWs since 1983 and currently have three in the garage. I've tracked most of them and also run several past 150k miles.
Number of engine failures?
Zero.
If you are only driving 5k miles per year I'd run BMW TPT Longlife-17 FE+ SAE 0W-20 and change it annually.
Sponsored