Windshield washer fluid pump failure

mortavious

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium Absolute Zero
Has anyone else had this issue? 2021 MY.

I ran out of fluid and it took about a week until I was able to buy a new jug to fill up the reservoir. After doing so there was an initial spurt of fluid followed by a trickle out of the 3 jets mounted to the hood. Disassembled the hose under the hood and still just a trickle and a whine from the pump/electronics when holding the washer stalk in the car. It's like the pump is half working. Don't see how there could be a clog or air in the system or something like that. Took it Toyota and they confirmed and ordered a replacement pump.
Sponsored

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
The washer fluid you were using, did it contain silicone?

OP
OP
mortavious

mortavious

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I typically don't pay attention, just grab this or something like it from the gas station shelf. I don't think it does?

Preview.jpg

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I typically don't pay attention, just grab this or something like it from the gas station shelf. I don't think it does?

Preview.jpg
Usually the summer/bug and such formulas have a silicone in them to aid in removing the bugs and such (think in terms of not sticking). Rain-x for example uses silicone for the water beading they market. Side note, Rain-x currently has a law suit against it for damaging/clogging pumps and claiming it works in all vehicle types. It doesnā€™t work long term in BMW systems or most German manufacturers.

Thinking you possibly just have a clogged filter since you mentioned that you can hear the whining of the pump working but only dribbles coming out. May not need the entire pump replaced. The reservoir and components couldā€™ve gummed up during the week of no fluid. Iā€™d stay away from any ā€œspecial formulas,ā€ for lack of a better term, of washer fluid to be safe. BMW does make a specific fluid, probably pricey, or you could make your own fluid with something like a waterless wash mixture.

OP
OP
mortavious

mortavious

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Turns out that the impeller connected to the pump broke into pieces which subsequently went into the hose causing a partial clog. My guess is that the high temps down here in FL combined with the reservoir being empty for a week or so made the plastic brittle and prone to breaking. Probably nothing to do with cheap washer fluid but I'll try out that Adams stuff.
Sponsored