2023 MT Supra vs 2023 AT Supra

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I understand what you are saying; I've driven cars that one could argue are equipped with far better transmissions than the ZF 8 speed (DCT, PDK, etc), and I honestly still wouldn't own one. They are obviously good at what they do but they do something I'd rather do myself.
Definitely not going to change your opinion but since you mentioned it... I‘m not a huge fan of DCT, PDK, either. Maybe they‘ve grossly improved since I’ve driven them. They feel disconnected and abrupt. However, I absolutely love this ZF transmission! I have no clue why it’s so smooth yet fast enough to scoot around a track w/out hesitation or upsetting the car. Yet at a price point under $60k. Dude….
Sponsored

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Definitely not going to change your opinion but since you mentioned it... I‘m not a huge fan of DCT, PDK, either. Maybe they‘ve grossly improved since I’ve driven them. They feel disconnected and abrupt. However, I absolutely love this ZF transmission! I have no clue why it’s so smooth yet fast enough to scoot around a track w/out hesitation or upsetting the car. Yet at a price point under $60k. Dude….

I can't believe they did it with a torque converter.

I understand what you are saying; I've driven cars that one could argue are equipped with far better transmissions than the ZF 8 speed (DCT, PDK, etc), and I honestly still wouldn't own one. They are obviously good at what they do but they do something I'd rather do myself.
Of course. Like I said, we've all said the same. We get it.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
100% of us used to say the same until we drove a *good* AT.
And almost 100% of us still own a MT car for the reasons you mention. Just not THIS car.
ZF8 is so sweet! Drove a new M240, M3, M5, X3 M on the track and I've gotten some experience with it. I tracked those back to back with an M2 Comp DCT, which was crisper but not necessarily faster.

The MT was just a simple choice since they'll be dead by next decade. Probably the last new car I could order with one. I think I will have another opportunity of a new ZF auto car down the line.
Sponsored