concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
How’s the “leak”?
I drove my car on Sunday and yesterday for a total of about 30 miles. While I haven't looked closely at the diff, I cannot see any signs of fluid on it or on the garage floor from the back view. We've been having lots of rain over here, so my drives have been limited. There is a cars&coffee, 45 minutes from here on Sunday, so that may allow me to add miles. The tools to remove the fill plug and dampener have arrived, yesterday.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Question: I believe the rear central jacking point is the diff. Is that true? I plan to buy the tools I will need, drive the car up on home-made wooden ramps, then jack up each end before sliding a Rhino ramp under each tire.
Just make sure to only contact the black iron diff housing with the jack, as mashing your rear cover cooling fins is not acceptable. If you're coming straight in from the back of the car with the jack, you may need a small block of wood or thicker jack-pad in order to make contact behind the cover without the jack arm munching the fins.

Screenshot 2024-02-09 085904.png

EDIT: definitely re-install the tuned mass damper if you remove it. If I remember right, it's actually tuned to like 48 hertz, which I bet Phil could agree is a potentially damaging frequency in the long run..

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
@razorlab
Hey Bryan, do you happen to know the part # for the silver attachment above that the vibration dampener bolt attaches to? Lucky Phil has made me second guess myself and I was going to reinstall the dampener but I can't find that piece.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just make sure to only contact the black iron diff housing with the jack, as mashing your rear cover cooling fins is not acceptable. If you're coming straight in from the back of the car with the jack, you may need a small block of wood or thicker jack-pad in order to make contact behind the cover without the jack arm munching the fins.

Screenshot 2024-02-09 085904.png
Excellent advice! Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
@razorlab
Hey Bryan, do you happen to know the part # for the silver attachment above that the vibration dampener bolt attaches to? Lucky Phil has made me second guess myself and I was going to reinstall the dampener but I can't find that piece.
It's a M12xM8x85

BMW 33176880751
Toyota 90118WA503

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Update: Raised Supra to level, removed fill plug after 1 hour, need to buy and add fluid.
The leak seems to be coming from the driver's side axle. Leakage is not excessive (1-3 drops).

Diff level check1-11-24.jpg

Diff level check2-11-24.jpg

Diff level check3-11-24.jpg

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Confirmed - driver's side axle seal leak
Disappointing. Make sure you/they inspect closely the seal seating and the running surfaces for machining defects before you/they fit new seals. Sounds obvious I know but I've seen people change seals on the same component more than once when the issue wasn't the seal but the component seating and running surfaces just assuming it's a faulty seal.

Phil

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Disappointing. Make sure you/they inspect closely the seal seating and the running surfaces for machining defects before you/they fit new seals. Sounds obvious I know but I've seen people change seals on the same component more than once when the issue wasn't the seal but the component seating and running surfaces just assuming it's a faulty seal.

Phil
I agree. Thanks, Phil. I sent you a more detailed explanation.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Phil
Well, last Saturday I was told by this dealership's service advisor that the axle seal and installation tools were in, so I took my car in on Monday. Before I brought it in, I typed up a note that reminded the advisor and tech that the sealing surfaces and old seal needed to be examined before the new seal is installed.
By Tuesday, end of day, my car was ready so I picked it up on Wednesday. The advisor told me that nothing out of the ordinary was found in the sealing surfaces.

Side note: the tech did use all new hardware, which the service advisor told me is not common to the repair of Toyota vehicles. Thankfully, they were able to quickly receive the hardware without much delay. Also, they did NOT wash my car, as they are well aware of some of the concerns of Supra owners.

So far, so good.........
Sponsored

Last edited: