All-new 2023 Nissan Z makes world debut!

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
I think the article about the "400Z" is fake news. Simply because there is no Tokyo Motor Show for 2018. :doh:
Sponsored

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I think the article about the "400Z" is fake news. Simply because there is no Tokyo Motor Show for 2018. :doh:
I agree, total BS. However, if they are in the process of making another Z, the 3.0 VQ TT V6 from the Infiniti would make sense...

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
According to Carmaker1, the Z is dead. Also the R35, will be heavily updated for 2021. Don't expect to see a new R36 anytime soon.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/threads/nissan-z-and-gt-r-future.4333/

I am making the declaration from internal Nissan information, that like the discontinued RWD Infiniti QX70 last year, in January 2018 the Renault-Nissan board scrapped the Z35 programme altogether and will NOT be redesigning it after the current Z34 Fairlady Z/370Z ends at 11-12 years in production.

The R35 GT-R, will be heavily updated for 2021. R36 is currently not in the cards.

It is unfortunate, but the Z35 had been in planning development on and off for the better part of this decade. By the end of 2016/Jan 2017, a more upmarket design (described as eons better than current, if not best), utilizing the VR30TT engine from the V37 Infiniti Q50/Q60 had been approved by ex-design director Nakamura and senior Nissan personnel.

Failure to once again establish a sound business case for principal shareholders and board of directors, has ensured this car will have no future pre-2025. As you can see, just like the Infiniti Q80 flagship, Q40 redesign, QX70 RWD redesign (S52), and more, things just keep being cancelled.

I report on these programmes, only to be hurt when cancelled so abruptly. It makes me look bad. I do not know what to say for this company really, as only one more new Infiniti is on schedule for mid-2019 (not including excessive delays) and then nothing until calendar year 2021. All to prop up the struggling Titan.

The Maxima and Murano will be facelifted for 2019MY, being launched in late 2018 and December 2018.

The U.S. Frontier will be "updated" in mid-2020 (pushed back Q1 from 2019). Armada and Patrol will be all-new in CY2021. A new Sentra will arrive for MY 2020, after 2019 Altima (L42P) in September 2018 (Job 1- 08/18).

Regarding any "400Z" and R36 GT-R rumours, IGNORE THEM as they are plain clickbait nonsense and have no real basis after January. Don't expect a new GT-R (R36) until near 2025 at least. No new performance offerings outside Q60.

Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
As someone that also knows some of the engineers at Nissan, that post is spot on.. they are updating the R35 AGAIN and the R36 is still in whiteboard phases. the Z made it far further than whiteboard and was approved a few years back and then nothing, so I assumed it was dead which it seems is the case.

the S2000 update also made it decently far and was cancelled too btw, and that info is straight from one of the Honda powertrain engineers I used to hang out with in the Supra community.

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
As someone that also knows some of the engineers at Nissan, that post is spot on.. they are updating the R35 AGAIN and the R36 is still in whiteboard phases. the Z made it far further than whiteboard and was approved a few years back and then nothing, so I assumed it was dead which it seems is the case.

the S2000 update also made it decently far and was cancelled too btw, and that info is straight from one of the Honda powertrain engineers I used to hang out with in the Supra community.
@A70TTR how does toyota plan to stay competitive against nissan given they outclass the supra in the price and power aspect? Any changes do you see of?

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
@A70TTR how does toyota plan to stay competitive against nissan given they outclass the supra in the price and power aspect? Any changes do you see of?
What do you mean by outclass in price? The Supra is cheaper than the GT-R and according to the article, the Z is finished.

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
What do you mean by outclass in price? The Supra is cheaper than the GT-R and according to the article, the Z is finished.
Nissan 370Z is +30k atm the moment.

If they are promising +400hp compared to toyota's 3XX +37Hp overbooost, supra is being beaten unless it weighs like a feather.
In today's market, I am unsure if the new supra comes close to the GTR.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford

If they are promising +400hp compared to toyota's 3XX +37Hp overbooost, supra is being beaten unless it weighs like a feather.
They aren't promising anything because the "Z35" is dead.

The new Supra isn't a $100k GT-R competitor, simply because the old one wasn't either. Being in the $50-$60k range it will most likely have its sight set on the Cayman S or base 911 Carrera.

Last edited:

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none

It's like a slightly heavier 86

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
So the 370Z has another 2-3 years left on the market. Maybe if a new Supra is a hit than that would make Nissan reconsider? :dunno:

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So the 370Z has another 2-3 years left on the market. Maybe if a new Supra is a hit than that would make Nissan reconsider? :dunno:
Possibly. What if Nissan takes the same approach to partner up to build the next Z car with let's say Yamaha to help keep costs down?

Yamaha brought out a Sports Ride concept car a few years ago. We've seen what Toyota and Yamaha did together in the past. It be nice to see Nissan take this approach rather than killing the Z.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
The Yamaha/Toyota relationship is deep in so many ways (historically, financially, and personally) that I doubt Yamaha would ever work with Nissan or anyone else. Plus, Nissan REALLY pissed off Yamaha with the 2000GT ordeal lol. Then to add insult to injury the S30Z that followed...

That said, I agree that letting the Z die is absolutely ridiculous, but that's where we are at now... the GTR died once too though, unfortunately.

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
The Yamaha/Toyota relationship is deep in so many ways (historically, financially, and personally) that I doubt Yamaha would ever work with Nissan or anyone else. Plus, Nissan REALLY pissed off Yamaha with the 2000GT ordeal lol. Then to add insult to injury the S30Z that followed...

That said, I agree that letting the Z die is absolutely ridiculous, but that's where we are at now... the GTR died once too though, unfortunately.
Nissan saw flaws in the prototype (2000GT's power plant - 2 Cylinder straight 4) Im sure their engineer's brought it up to the Yamaha team. However, Yamaha decided to stick with their prototype and take it to their rivals...namely, Toyota. What came to fruition? The Toyota 2000GT.
This was the insult. Taking their design and concept and bringing it to the American market before Nissan. What happened? Low sales with the 2000GT=cancellation

It is sad that Nissan is letting the Z model die off. It was THEE car that crushed the German, American and British manufacturer's cars.
When you read about its history, Datsun Z cars is the most influential Japanese import car to this date.
Sponsored