JB4/MHD BEF vs Ecutek (Post 6/20 car)

EziGR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Getting ready to bite the bullet on the Femto unlock. I already have a JB4. I am trying to decide if the clone option to get Ecutek is worth over double the investment.

Looks like you can still do Port injection via MHD etc, so I guess the limitation might be a fully custom tune, vs whatever the BEF is set for. But it looks like the BEF would get rid of the throttle closures, covers the fuel and timing maps etc, and I can turn off the annoying cold start. Just wondering what might be left on the table between the stack and Ecutek. I am thinking its likely a min/max type situation, and I am not looking to do that.
Sponsored

OP
OP

EziGR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Ive talked with him already, he took care of my jb4 already. Im just trying to get as many opinions as I can, because this isn't something I want to do twice lol.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Ive talked with him already, he took care of my jb4 already. Im just trying to get as many opinions as I can, because this isn't something I want to do twice lol.
What are your goals for the car?

If you don't want to do it twice, because you're thinking that you might want to push it further, then just get the clone.

OP
OP

EziGR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I just want to better understand what Ecuteks capabilities are vs MHD limitations. Is reflex integration better on Ecutek?
Is it just losing out on map switching/rolling antilag?
Are there only the base BEF, or can custom ones be made?
Goal for the car would likely end as a p800/p850 car, and the mods that go with that. Port injection etc.

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Tungsten Supra 3.0 Premium
I just want to better understand what Ecuteks capabilities are vs MHD limitations. Is reflex integration better on Ecutek?
Is it just losing out on map switching/rolling antilag?
Are there only the base BEF, or can custom ones be made?
Goal for the car would likely end as a p800/p850 car, and the mods that go with that. Port injection etc.
IMO unless you are serious about race car stuff just go with the unlock. The cloning biggest advantage is the canbus integration thats where the magic is happening (reflex, big turbo boost conrol, lpfp not on a hobb switch, map switching etc.) All of these are amazing and i use them on my car but you dont NEED them.

If you want a solid 600WHP car then MHD BEF with PI and Pure would be fine. Now you want to push it to 725 and max out the pure turbo go ecutek and clone.

Either of these options are great and will be lightyears compared to your current set up. @Marshall@ViscontiTuning can help with either of these ecu unlocking options.

HoosierRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
IMO unless you are serious about race car stuff just go with the unlock. The cloning biggest advantage is the canbus integration thats where the magic is happening (reflex, big turbo boost conrol, lpfp not on a hobb switch, map switching etc.) All of these are amazing and i use them on my car but you dont NEED them.

If you want a solid 600WHP car then MHD BEF with PI and Pure would be fine. Now you want to push it to 725 and max out the pure turbo go ecutek and clone.

Either of these options are great and will be lightyears compared to your current set up. @Marshall@ViscontiTuning can help with either of these ecu unlocking options.
My LPFP solution has never been on a Hobbs switch and works for all platforms with or without a clone.

You also don't need a clone to make power. Everything needed to make power is editable on the cal without a clone.

Map switch, flex fuel, yes you need a clone.

Reflex doesn't need CANbus to control it. It can be controlled standalone. And still has it own data, failsafes, and etc without a clone as well.

Yes controlling the reflex via the dme is nice and convenient. But it is NOT a necessity

You can max out any turbo on any flashing platform and have the exact same performance.

For the OP:

Just pick what extra features you want or don't want, then pick your tuner. Then go with whoever is going to be tuning the car suggestion. That will determine whether you need a clone or not.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Curious also about the us customers… thought Femto wasn’t directly taking orders from the US.
I’ve got my JB4 back in, running map 4. Still wishing for more power, and the ability to Code out CELs from a catless.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Curious also about the us customers… thought Femto wasn’t directly taking orders from the US.
I’ve got my JB4 back in, running map 4. Still wishing for more power, and the ability to Code out CELs from a catless.

They opened an unlock location in Helsinki, Finland. So ecus are being sent there since Russia has been on lockdown and shipping couriers have stopped service there.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91, wrangler JK
Hi all

i contacted FEMTO & i am sending my ECU to be unlocked. they told me that now they dont need to clone my ECU & they will unlock the orginal one.

my Supra HP aim is 500 - 550 hp not that big i know. i dont want to go super beast mood on it.

my quistion is. MHD OTS with downpipe is enough or i try to get ECUtek custom tune?

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
my quistion is. MHD OTS with downpipe is enough or i try to get ECUtek custom tune?
For 500 hp you’ll want a custom tune. Since you don’t have ethanol there correct?
Sponsored