Possible Debut at Tokyo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Sooooooo can we assume that Toyota delayed the debut because they realized the current car they have is not worthy of the name "Supra" and went back to the drawing board?

That's the only excuse I'll take at this point.
There was a recent article someone posted on here stating that Toyoda drove the prototype and demanded more performance, so they had to go back to the drawing board to some extent. Could have been BS but I'll keep my hopes up.
Sponsored

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Well, it's slated to start production in November of 2018 and will be sold as a 2020 model (coming out in fall 2019), so we are quite a long ways out.

The Z4 on the other hand is apparently supposed to be on sale next fall, so a full year ahead of the Supra.
Welp, that gives me 2 years to save more money in anticipation

Sunspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I like big rear ends and I cannot lie.
Six + years from concept to production? yikes I'm beginning to think someone dropped the ball somewhere.

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
lol. looks like am back to lurking in the shadow. The whole Show was flop. I think 2020 would be more interesting.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Six + years from concept to production? yikes I'm beginning to think someone dropped the ball somewhere.
the length of time is interesting especially considering the 86 project took roughly 4 years from the very first internal concept to the production reveal in tokyo. the positive is perhaps this means the supra gets more unique components separate from bmw :popcorn:

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
I'm ok with a six month delay if that means we're getting a real MK4 successor and not some lame half @ss attempt at a new Supra.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Did the Z4 concept looked big? Larger than the E89 and 86?
Guff just updated his OP on this matter. But I don't think the concept was scaled up for show like with the FT-1. BMW designer has stated the new Z4 will have a longer wheelbase than the outgoing model and that the concept's proportion will carry over to the production car.

Mr.Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
soup
the length of time is interesting especially considering the 86 project took roughly 4 years from the very first internal concept to the production reveal in tokyo. the positive is perhaps this means the supra gets more unique components separate from bmw :popcorn:
Development on the twins took longer to get going though as Toyota original had to build a prototype using a chopped up impressive before Subaru folks would even consider it

But I too am hoping them reevaluated the car and looked at the badge they were using and thought it needs to be more

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Development on the twins took longer to get going though as Toyota original had to build a prototype using a chopped up impressive before Subaru folks would even consider it

But I too am hoping them reevaluated the car and looked at the badge they were using and thought it needs to be more
longer? The internal prototype was created in 2008 and the production reveal in Tokyo was in 2011.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete

there was also a pre-subaru collab prototype that had already undergone some development using the 2ZZ... like you said, that got trashed and then everything started from scratch with some decent disagreements to start.

Tada said (privately), the crossover from working as purely a Toyota team to when Subaru came on board was tough for a majority of the engineers. there were some other sentiments too, but I'm not going to share them for several reasons.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Guff just updated his OP on this matter. But I don't think the concept was scaled up for show like with the FT-1. BMW designer has stated the new Z4 will have a longer wheelbase than the outgoing model and that the concept's proportion will carry over to the production car.
Did the Z4 concept looked big? Larger than the E89 and 86?
Yeah, bigger than both the outgoing Z4 and the 86 for sure. But again, who knows what the actual proportions will be.

Were you guys still able to do a Q&A with someone from Toyota?
Nope. Asked everyone I could find at the Toyota area and they either didn't speak English, or they just told me that they are only there to talk about the cars on stage. Most questions about Supra just returned confused stares. I looked everywhere for Engineer-y types and specifically, Tada-San, but I found nobody. Toyota really is treating the Supra as if it doesn't exist right now. At this point, friends in the industry are telling me to keep eyes on Gazoo Racing, but that's about the extent of the information I have.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE 2: Here's the coverage of the Toyota Event. Nothing too special, unfortunately, but still nice to see some of these concepts IRL.

Beyond the Mobility Concepts, there were a few cool cars, such as the new Toyota Century:

And of course, the Toyota TJ Cruiser Van-Thingy:

Obligatory Hybrid Badge

Then they had the Yaris WRC Car, which was definitely cool to see:

Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.