Race Seats and Cruise Control

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I run the oem seat belt on street and six point harness (with Hans) on track with a Sparco race seat. It’s a straightforward setup.

ASM harness isn’t safer without a HANS. ASM= anti submarine and nothing to do with “rotating towards an airbag”
Sponsored

garudathree

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991gt3rs
so the schroth anti-sub works by having breakaway stitching on the inside shoulder belt, allowing your torso to rotate forward and outward, same as the stock 3 point, which keeps your waist and outside shoulder stabilized during a crash. lapbelt setup is the same as any generic harness. it's the only harness PCA/BMW/AUDI clubs will allow without hans, since it's really just a better stabilized 3 point (they'll even consider it as "equal restraint" for driver/passenger).

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
so the schroth anti-sub works by having breakaway stitching on the inside shoulder belt, allowing your torso to rotate forward and outward, same as the stock 3 point, which keeps your waist and outside shoulder stabilized during a crash. lapbelt setup is the same as any generic harness. it's the only harness PCA/BMW/AUDI clubs will allow without hans, since it's really just a better stabilized 3 point (they'll even consider it as "equal restraint" for driver/passenger).
So you won’t anti submarine, which is different than what you are describing. Oem belts are meant to flex, harness are not.

I’m still amazed how I always have to explain the importance of a HANS with a harness. I think I’m done and I’ll let Darwin take over.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
What are you doing for this Jason? I want a real seat (someday) and would like to go back and forth from track to street. I’m really happy not having any errors on my infotainment system. So would closely follow Bryan’s (Razor) seat setup page, if/when I go this route. But I’d still like to occasionally drive her in town without a 5 or 6 point harness.

Do you have a build page as well? Thanks 😊

Great post! Curious how you work around this. I’m still on stock seats for track 😭 But they look great and the computer is happy 😂

Disclaimer: rushing to work and lightly read this thread, mega interested in the results, but sorry if I missed the obvious/easy fix/answer.

Nice!!!! Have you done this? Do you have a build or instruction page. Thanks amigo!
I don't have a build page, as my car is still under warranty and my local dealerships like to browse web forums. 😂
I've actually decided to leave the complete powertrain unmodified, anyway. So nothing to tell until I start doing suspension work. I guess I could add camber plates to my build thread😂

I do the same as mentioned above. I use the OEM seat belt when I'm driving around the street. For personal as well as safety reasons, I will never, ever run a harness on the street.
I know it's been discussed, and you may know this, but I will post it for anyone else reading and is curious :

When using a harness, you are unable to use your airbag to cushion your movement forward. Imagine what that does to your neck when your head slams forward and your body doesn't go anywhere. ASM does not help with this.
Same goes for at the race track: your head snaps forward and your body doesn't go anywhere. That's why a HNR is so important when using a harness, at all times.

What an ASM harness IS used for:, there is always the chance of sliding out of the seat, under the lap portion. That is the reason for ASM or a harness with five or six points. With ASM, your body rotates slightly as mentioned above, and that keeps you from "submarining" under the lap belt.

TLDR:
1. Harness on the street equals broken neck.
2. ASM only keeps you from sliding under the lap portion of a harness.

garudathree

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991gt3rs
Porsche GT cars with the clubsport package come with these installed from the factory, rated for street use. they make some dumb design decisions, but this was one that’s been tuv + legal tested

infact amg gtr pro is primarily setup for these in the eu

0CFC1D29-542D-46F6-B9ED-464ADD6C7648.jpeg

24 hr nring winner lapping without Hans:

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I don't have a build page, as my car is still under warranty and my local dealerships like to browse web forums. 😂
I've actually decided to leave the complete powertrain unmodified, anyway. So nothing to tell until I start doing suspension work. I guess I could add camber plates to my build thread😂

I do the same as mentioned above. I use the OEM seat belt when I'm driving around the street. For personal as well as safety reasons, I will never, ever run a harness on the street.
I know it's been discussed, and you may know this, but I will post it for anyone else reading and is curious :

When using a harness, you are unable to use your airbag to cushion your movement forward. Imagine what that does to your neck when your head slams forward and your body doesn't go anywhere. ASM does not help with this.
Same goes for at the race track: your head snaps forward and your body doesn't go anywhere. That's why a HNR is so important when using a harness, at all times.

What an ASM harness IS used for:, there is always the chance of sliding out of the seat, under the lap portion. That is the reason for ASM or a harness with five or six points. With ASM, your body rotates slightly as mentioned above, and that keeps you from "submarining" under the lap belt.

TLDR:
1. Harness on the street equals broken neck.
2. ASM only keeps you from sliding under the lap portion of a harness.
Yeah I know to do both. I’ll go back to Bryan’s seat instruction thread/page when I’m ready to slap a real track seat in. I know that plus a HANS on track will make a world of difference. I also want a slider so my wife can drive too. We did this in our last track car.

And don’t forget about the airbag coding:

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/airbag-error-lights-warnings-easy-coding.14617/

Thanks y’all ✌🏼

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Even with an ASM harness on, general operation of a car with a harness is no fun. Using HVAC controls, reaching the glove box, just moving around in general is no fun. Less fun than no cruise control, IMO. But we all different peeves, so work with what we need to. I commend your commitment.

Most people I know that run harnesses for nothing but show end up leaving them soooo loose so they can reach everything it's no point having them on other than the harness MAY keep them from being ejected. The guys I know that track more often than not, run seat belts and harnesses. I have been in too many cars with just harnesses and it's a big nope for me lol.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Yeah I know to do both. I’ll go back to Bryan’s seat instruction thread/page when I’m ready to slap a real track seat in. I know that plus a HANS on track will make a world of difference. I also want a slider so my wife can drive too. We did this in our last track car.

And don’t forget about the airbag coding:

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/airbag-error-lights-warnings-easy-coding.14617/

Thanks y’all ✌🏼
I'm with you on the slider. I know it's not the best option, but I'm not the only one that drives my car. Sliders are safe in millions of other cars, so I'll take my chance with that one. 😂
I have a HANS but hear good things about Hybrid HNRs. I tried the Simpson version. It was far more comfortable but it didn't seem to really work as well. Try a few out, if you can.

xplizitremix

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91, 2018 FK8
So back on topic… I have my seat belt plug plugged in while using OEM seat belts but my cruise control still doesn’t work or activate. Already coded out the restraint system, I still get a flashing seat belt light though that I couldn’t get turned off
Sponsored