Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
I believe the term muscle car is a subtotal of high performance cars , but for example if you look at what the camaro is today it is clear that it is not a muscle car , it is relatively light , it has a turbo 2 liter engine and also handles pretty good . It is a shame that they don't offer it in any european country with a manual . The same thing is true for the mustang , those cars have shed so much weight , they have downsized their engines , but anyway this is just arguing about terms and it is not what i am focusing right now . The thing i am saying is that people are willing to pay some extra to get performance , the GT86 is as fast as my dad's old s13 stock(1.8 T) so i don't think the buyers are at fault here that "don't get the purpose of the car" , the purpose of a sports car is also to be able to go fast sometimes so point missed there . I agree though that the sports car segment is limited , but a sports car is not a seller but mainly an attraction for the brand , so it makes perfect sense to me that lexus made the lfa , they didn't care one bit to make money from it , they lost a lot of money but gained more from brand recognision.
Sponsored

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I believe the term muscle car is a subtotal of high performance cars , but for example if you look at what the camaro is today it is clear that it is not a muscle car , it is relatively light , it has a turbo 2 liter engine and also handles pretty good . It is a shame that they don't offer it in any european country with a manual . The same thing is true for the mustang , those cars have shed so much weight , they have downsized their engines , but anyway this is just arguing about terms and it is not what i am focusing right now . The thing i am saying is that people are willing to pay some extra to get performance , the GT86 is as fast as my dad's old s13 stock(1.8 T) so i don't think the buyers are at fault here that "don't get the purpose of the car" , the purpose of a sports car is also to be able to go fast sometimes so point missed there . I agree though that the sports car segment is limited , but a sports car is not a seller but mainly an attraction for the brand , so it makes perfect sense to me that lexus made the lfa , they didn't care one bit to make money from it , they lost a lot of money but gained more from brand recognision.
they may have shed weight, but they still don't handle like a go-cart since all muscle cars & the corvette have power as a priority over virtually everything else, something almost nearly every true sports car out of Europe & Japan never had... Power seems to resonate so much more with consumers and light enthusiasts, more so than balanace and handling...I also believe most typical consumers don't like feeling snug in a car either. Look at the 4C, it has nearly everything people want as a cheap exotic but I'm willing to bet sales of the high performance variants of the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger blow it out of the water...

USA%2Bsports%2Bcar%2Bsales%2Bchart%2B2016.jpg

Last edited:

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
Yeah actually the 4c is a great example , while it has (never driven it myself ) very good handling and it is a true sports car is not what the people would buy , apart from the sharp driving it has nothing else though , sure if someone goes to track it often it would be valuable to him/her . The muscle cars in my opinion offer practicality,performance and pricing but they are not perfect in any of these categories . By the way i like very much how the camaro handles , if it came with manual on the 2.0 turbo here i would consider it. As for the mustang it still felt heavy to me .

Reactions: HKz

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Everyone has his/her personal definition of what a sports car is. I have mine, and that is why I dislike most 'sports cars', because by my definition a sports car is RWD, shorter than 4.20m and lighter than 1200 kg, and has more than 200 PS.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
And a transaxle?
That is not just a sports car, but a perfect sports car.

But I can go on: manual transmission, electric side windows, framed door windows, rear diff lock, higher profile tires, no remote central locking, standard ignition switch key - not start/stop button,.....

GT86 is the best sports car. Still looking forward to Supra.

Last edited:

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
All this and I bet you the car won't be called a Supra.

Toyota has a great history for making better next-gen cars. Mind you, the government has ALOT to say about what car makers can or can't do. That being said, name me one Toyota currently in production that it's predecessor was better than it's successor?

Toyota isn't stupid...if it will be a Supra...it will be a true Supra successor. If they feel it won't be, then it will be called something else.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I feel like they hit a few points that a lot of reviewers will end up agreeing on if the rumors specs hold true. At the end of the day it may be a fun car but I can see the common complaints 'it should have came with more power from the factory' like what is said about the 86/BRZ & the fact they may call this a Supra with similar engine specs from 25+ yrs ago isn't going to help.

At the end of the day even if they give this thing 415HP/442TQ stock, there will be those still saying not enough power :D

SupraStew85

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1985 Supra (1jz vvti swap incoming) 2004 V8 4Runner
Theres alway going to be people wanting more power as long as humans insert their silly fleshy bodies inside whatever contraption they create for movement....lol. Those who truly want more will find a way to achieve that through the aftermarket or whatever means they choose. At this point being a Toyota vehicle with what is likely to be a BMW engine, personally I would want a good chunk of r&d money going into engine and drivetrain with longevity first and power second. Remember you can only ever have two of these things : Power, Reliability, and affordability. You can have something powerful and reliable but it will not be affordable. You can have reliable and affordable car but it may not be overly powerful, and lastly the least enticing option to anyone: you can create/own a powerful and affordable car but reliability WILL be an issue. I can speak from personal experience that I would much rather have a car with a slightly lower power level as a trade in to increase reliability....NOTHING is worse then having a fun car that constantly has issues.