2020 Supra and BMW M240i?

Voidec

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium, 2019 BMW X3 M40i, 2018 BMW M4, 2018 BMW M240i Xdrive, 2017 Lexus RC300 F Sport AWD, 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Because of the high depreciation, the M240i and even 440i can be very expensive on finance. I was fortunate to buy My M140i last year when BMW offered a 33% discount on factory orders. It will be interesting to see how the next generation M240i due next year will compare against the 2021 Supra.

I don't think this is true.

The M240i and M140i were BMW's first mlites. They wanted performance to be good whilst giving the M2 and M4 generous breathing space. The outcome was a fantastic engine and gearbox coupled with two glaring flaws:

1. No limited-slip differential as standard equipment.
2. Awful springs and dampers whether adaptive and passive.

Address the aforementioned flaws and the M240i rides more smoothly, flatter, grips better and is more predictable at the limit. Basically you have to look beyond what the M240i is in stock form.

The aftermarket support is extremely generous with lots of suspension options ranging from the no-brainer B12 Pro Kit that substantially improves comfort for $900 to coilover options. There are lots of options for mods depending on what your objectives are. I also have a 2019 X3 with 19 inch alloys and adaptive dampers but the aftermarket suspension on my M140i is superior on over rough roads. The faster I drive, the better the progressive springs perform.

I recently replaced my Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and the difference in cold or wet grip is night and day. My next mod will be XHP transmission flash to make the shifts snappier.

However I think the Supra is extremely well setup from the factory and is a performance car that rarely feels too stiff or too soft, and it would pass most wife tests. If I bought one I would be yellow :)
I forgot to mention I live in the states so we donā€™t have the m140i available for purchase. I agree that the aftermarket support is much stronger on the 240 side but if you remember jdm cars always gets better aftermarket parts in terms of tunes and what not over its German counterparts. Even though the Supra is half bmw, Iā€™m going to say in a few years I think the Supra is going to have more aftermarket parts available only because this car just recently released. Not to mention so many people have already pushed the 600hp range on modded supras with some going 1k. You just donā€™t see that in the 240 scene. Then again I could be wrong. Seeing how on the track a stock Supra is putting better numbers than even the M2 Comp, Iā€™m going to say the Supra might just be a better track toy. Itā€™s all subjective at the end of the day though.
Sponsored

ToyotaBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
I forgot to mention I live in the states so we donā€™t have the m140i available for purchase. I agree that the aftermarket support is much stronger on the 240 side but if you remember jdm cars always gets better aftermarket parts in terms of tunes and what not over its German counterparts. Even though the Supra is half bmw, Iā€™m going to say in a few years I think the Supra is going to have more aftermarket parts available only because this car just recently released. Not to mention so many people have already pushed the 600hp range on modded supras with some going 1k. You just donā€™t see that in the 240 scene. Then again I could be wrong. Seeing how on the track a stock Supra is putting better numbers than even the M2 Comp, Iā€™m going to say the Supra might just be a better track toy. Itā€™s all subjective at the end of the day though.
Absolutely. Even in 10-15 years the Supra will have a collosal assortment of aftermarket parts ranging from simple lowering springs to custom made boot lids with integrated wings!

On the mlite meets that I have attended most engine mods that people do up their power to 450hp or 530hp. Going beyond that is expensive.

After fitting grippy MPS4 tyres, I am ready for more power in my M140i and will remap it to 420-450hp.

Voidec

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium, 2019 BMW X3 M40i, 2018 BMW M4, 2018 BMW M240i Xdrive, 2017 Lexus RC300 F Sport AWD, 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Absolutely. Even in 10-15 years the Supra will have a collosal assortment of aftermarket parts ranging from simple lowering springs to custom made boot lids with integrated wings!

On the mlite meets that I have attended most engine mods that people do up their power to 450hp or 530hp. Going beyond that is expensive.

After fitting grippy MPS4 tyres, I am ready for more power in my M140i and will remap it to 420-450hp.
Itā€™s a great car to drive
Sponsored