2021 Supra 2.0 just got hit in the back. Best course of action?

Eehenuj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 2.0
Hey! New to the forums! So I recently got a 2021 Supra 2.0 2 weeks ago, only a 2.0, but still hurts to see my car get bumped into by some idiots in a company van tonight.

So not sure what to do. Moving company van hit the back of my car and caused a gash on my bumper. Didn't call the police nor create a report yet as they gave me their bosses number who said they would pay for the repairs.

I still have 24 hours to create the report.

They can't really escape since I have their license plate, van company information, and dashcam footage clearly showing that it was their fault.

Should I go through insurance and create a police report? I am worried about the small fender bender being on the car's history report. Although, I heard something regarding diminished value claim? What kind of steps would I have to go through?

Also how much would it cost to repair this? Would it require an entire bumper replacement?

Thanks!

IMG_4954.jpg

Sponsored

Viper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Viper, TRX, M4
Definitely need a new bumper, est 3k painted, if donā€™t go though insurance wont show up on car fax

damnsupra

First Name
evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
supra, s15, r34 gtr. gr corolla :]
Definitely need a new bumper, est 3k painted, if donā€™t go though insurance wont show up on car fax
if its the plastic bit on the back of the bumper this is really wrong lol,
cheap fix just make sure you get enough from them to make up your time lost

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Honestly, you should of called the police when it happened. At least to document it. Some Police agencies wonā€™t allow you file a crash report after it has happened. The reason is they have to come out to actual scene and speak to both parties on scene and look at both vehicles. I understand you got the video footage, but at this point, it becomes civil and if the boss doesnā€™t want to pay you because the Supra damages are more expensive than most cars, your SOL. You will then have to take them to small claims courtā€¦ And by the way, they can escape and refuse to pay for damagesā€¦. Small claims court is a pain in the assā€¦.

If you would of file a police report then, the officer would of listed their insurance policy where you can then file a claim under their insurance or have your insurance company follow up with theirsā€¦

Hopefully the police agency will still allow you the file a report affer the factā€¦

For future references, always call the police on the crash scene immediately to document it.

Viper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Viper, TRX, M4
if its the plastic bit on the back of the bumper this is really wrong lol,
cheap fix just make sure you get enough from them to make up your time lost
My bad i thought it was main bumper, i would check to see if have any bent tabs

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
I can't believe how quickly and nonchalant they back up and get out of the vehicle.

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
Depending on your local laws, a police report is either of little or no use. If no one is hurt and everyone is civil, then no need to bother the police. Follow up with the number given, if the information they gave you is incorrect and you can't get ahold of them THEN get your insurance company. They will sick the hounds on them and get the matter settled. Obviously both of you may wish to avoid the insurance company (car fax, insurance rates) but get a qualified body shop with good reference to give you an estimate.

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Based on the picture since there is not much damage you do not want to involve your insurance as it can lead to higher premium and a police report would cause Carfax and then diminished value. I'd say either open a claim with their insurance if the repair cost is super high but if it is less than a thousand try working it out with the driver/ moving company as it would benefit them as well if you don't involve their insurance company. Also body shops will give you a better quote if you say you are paying out of pocket and not insurance.

OP
OP

Eehenuj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 2.0
Welp this is an estimate from the body shop:

my deductible is higher than the repair. Still make a police report? Happened in Fairfax county Virginia and itā€™s still less than 24 hours.

IMG_4974.jpeg

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Welp this is an estimate from the body shop:

my deductible is higher than the repair. Still make a police report? Happened in Fairfax county Virginia and itā€™s still less than 24 hours.

IMG_4974.jpeg
For 700 bucks do not involve insurance and no police report. Just pay out of pocket and make sure your body shop doesn't report to car fax. Otherwise you'll have to deal. With diminished value and that's a whole bigger mess. I reported a claim for a small scratch from a piece of cardboard on the road and realized it didn't do any damage so I cancelled the claim. But then when I was rear-ended on the highway the insurance company would deny my diminished value claim as I had opened a previous claim before. And no. Lawyer would take my case as it's not worth the time for. Them as there is not much to get out of it.

So my advice, avoid a claim unless you really have to.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
That boss is making a big mistake. By the way, your insurance payments will almost definitely NOT be increased. His will, for sure.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL