3rd gen G29 BMW Z4 (2019-202X)

SupraStew85

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1985 Supra (1jz vvti swap incoming) 2004 V8 4Runner
Reading that optional equipment list makes me hope that we can get a stripper model mk5 with performance mods only, and drop the 100000 extra options that make it a heavy rig.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I just noticed the 25 city/32 highway mpg rating. That's not awful I guess, but I'm guessing the 6 is gonna be rated at 22/30 or something like that.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I just noticed the 25 city/32 highway mpg rating. That's not awful I guess, but I'm guessing the 6 is gonna be rated at 22/30 or something like that.
I think the Supra will have bigger numbers

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Yeah and they benchmarked it off the 4 cyl 718. Little did they know that Porsche has a 6 cyl up their sleeve. BMW is aiming at a target 500 yards away with an AK-47.

“When the board gave the project the green light they told us to make it a co-operative venture (with Toyota) and to make it a good one; a proper sports car,” Project Leader Michael Wimbeck told Car Mag. “We had a 718 for benchmarking early on. I showed it to the board members, had them compare it to our car, and pointed out that, while it was inferior for noise and comfort, that this also gives it character.”

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/01/03/bmw-z4-m40i-vs-porsche-718-cayman-car-mag-test/

Our spies are telling us the prototype they’ve caught on camera had a PDK transmission, and with prototypes of the 718 Cayman GT4 Touring showing a stick shift, it looks Porsche wants to please both worlds.

It’s not known at this point whether the six-cylinder versions bound to be positioned below the GT4 and Spyder will utilize the same specification of the flat-six engine. Should that be the case, the naturally aspirated 3.8-liter mill will allegedly pump out somewhere in the region of 420 horsepower. A weight loss compared to lesser Boxster / Cayman models is also in the works, as are additional hardware tweaks to justify what will be a significant premium.

https://www.motor1.com/news/306056/six-cylinder-porsche-boxster-spied/
How would they benchmark it against a car that doesn't exist yet? That article is a second hand source of a review that compares two cars that weren't targeted at each other, not a statement saying they are competitors.

30i = Boxster
M40i = Boxster S

Z4M? = Boxster GT4/Spyder?

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
How would they benchmark it against a car that doesn't exist yet? That article is a second hand source of a review that compares two cars that weren't targeted at each other, not a statement saying they are competitors.

30i = Boxster
M40i = Boxster S

Z4M? = Boxster GT4/Spyder?
The 718 does exist and that's what was both BMW's and Toyota's inspiration for the G29 and MKV. They even had both at the press review for b2b comparisons. Even at a 4 cyl FI, this was all they had to benchmark after excluding the GT4.

Now, if Porsche is releasing a NA 6 cyl rated at 420hp, Porsche just raised the ante up and is again one step ahead of the Z4 and even MKV.

Car Mag was on the launch of the BMW Z4 M40i in Portugal, just like we were. The only difference is that they brought a Porsche 718 Cayman along with them. Which says a lot about how confident BMW was about its newest convertible sports car, as the Bavarians allowed Car Mag to bring the Porsche to the test and do back-to-back comparisons. That confidence from BMW had a lot to do with the fact that Z4 engineers benchmarked the 718 from the beginning

spamthechan

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Prius V, Porsche Boxster
Now, if Porsche is releasing a NA 6 cyl rated at 420hp, Porsche just raised the ante up and is again one step ahead of the Z4 and even MKV.
The problem is that the 718 Boxster 6 cyl is going to be a $100k car. Even a 3 year old used Boxster GTS is a $60k car.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
The 718 does exist and that's what was both BMW's and Toyota's inspiration for the G29 and MKV. They even had both at the press review for b2b comparisons. Even at a 4 cyl FI, this was all they had to benchmark after excluding the GT4.

Car Mag was on the launch of the BMW Z4 M40i in Portugal, just like we were. The only difference is that they brought a Porsche 718 Cayman along with them. Which says a lot about how confident BMW was about its newest convertible sports car, as the Bavarians allowed Car Mag to bring the Porsche to the test and do back-to-back comparisons. That confidence from BMW had a lot to do with the fact that Z4 engineers benchmarked the 718 from the beginning
The 6 cyl Boxster doesn't exist*
Even at a 4 cyl FI, this was all they had to benchmark after excluding the GT4, Yes that is my point, there is no 6 cylinder 718 to benchmark

The entire paragraph makes no sense in an apple to apples to comparison, especially since it is a BMWBlog article (not an affiliate of BMW) and not spoken by BMW. They are comparing their top model convertible Z4 vs Porsche's lower model hardtop Cayman. While these cars may be competitive, the M40i's benchmark is the Boxster S.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The problem is that the 718 Boxster 6 cyl is going to be a $100k car. Even a 3 year old used Boxster GTS is a $60k car.
Yeah, it's easy to get ahead once you start building one too; alcantara, deviated stitching, LWB, PCCB's etc :D They are badass cars to drive too.

The 6 cyl Boxster doesn't exist*
Even at a 4 cyl FI, this was all they had to benchmark after excluding the GT4, Yes that is my point, there is no 6 cylinder 718 to benchmark

The entire paragraph makes no sense in an apple to apples to comparison, especially since it is a BMWBlog article (not an affiliate of BMW) and not spoken by BMW. They are comparing their top model convertible Z4 vs Porsche's lower model hardtop Cayman. While these cars may be competitive, the M40i's benchmark is the Boxster S.
Forget about the whole 4cyl vs 6cyl comparison. BMW and Toyota benchmarked the 718 because of it's specs; 350hp/0-60 in 4.4/RWD 2 seater roadster with excellent handling. Porsche kept their mouth hush until both BMW and Toyota finally released their new toys. Timing is everything.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Forget about the whole 4cyl vs 6cyl comparison. BMW and Toyota benchmarked the 718 because of it's specs; 350hp/0-60 in 4.4/RWD 2 seater roadster with excellent handling. Porsche kept their mouth hush until both BMW and Toyota finally released their new toys. Timing is everything.
Havent we known about the 6 cyl rumors for a while now though or am I solely thinking of just the Cayman version? The real test is to see how well it sells to see if the Z4 gets an M version to compete

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Havent we known about the 6 cyl rumors for a while now though or am I solely thinking of just the Cayman version? The real test is to see how well it sells to see if the Z4 gets an M version to compete
Boxster/Cayman's have been flat sixes except for the current gen 718/982. The return of a flat six has been rumored since '18 and there's wasn't any value added to benchmark a previous gen Cayman especially when the 4 cyl FI accelerated faster and was more nimble then the 981.

This is ultimately a checkmate to BMW from Porsche.