A80 Toyota Supra

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
I like the NSX NA1 and got a chance to swap my Supra for a canyon sprint. It's a nice car for tighter tracks such as Streets of Willow or the canyons of Southern California. My only issues are that it felt and sounded like a Honda; light and hollow sounding. I think they were a good buy when the market crashed in 08-12 when they were in the 30-40K range. Now, thanks to the current gen, prices for the NA1 and NA2 have doubled.
Sponsored

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
The R34 will always be on my bucket lists but since CA laws have hindered that dream and thanks to Motorex, it's not priority.

It'll always be a favorable prize out of the Japanese 90's cars but driving a RHD car in the U.S gets old really quick.
^^ The wait for R34 GT-R's to become USA Federally legal aside, check with Sean Morris at his importation company. Apparently he's found a path to appeasing the California Air Resources Board to make the RB26DETT engines emissions compliant. Though it's not at all a cheap added process on top of purchasing, importing and registering the car.

If it's this particular guy (who oversaw the compliance R&D through I believe G&K Auto for the Motorex R33's back in the day before Motorex ate itself) saying it can be done even for a decent chunk of cash, personally I'll listen to him.

A few years back he was a great help to a friend of mine who needed many legal aspects clarified when he was trying to navigate CA smog laws with his imported diesel G-Wagen. He knows his stuff.

This is his importation company website below, specifically the section for CA smog compliance with some custom work on their part and going through the lengthy official lab testing process:

https://www.importavehicle.com/california-buyer

http://www.gtrusablog.com/2015/11/first-california-legal-nissan-skyline.html

Last edited:

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ The wait for R34 GT-R's to become USA Federally legal aside, check with Sean Morris at his importation company. Apparently he's found a path to appeasing the California Air Resources Board to make the RB26DETT engines emissions compliant. Though it's not at all a cheap added process on top of purchasing, importing and registering the car.

If it's this particular guy (who oversaw the compliance R&D through I believe G&K Auto for the Motorex R33's back in the day before Motorex ate itself) saying it can be done even for a decent chunk of cash, personally I'll listen to him.

A few years back he was a great help to a friend of mine who needed many legal aspects clarified when he was trying to navigate CA smog laws with his imported diesel G-Wagen. He knows his stuff.

This is his importation company website below, specifically the section for CA smog compliance with some custom work on their part and going through the lengthy official lab testing process:

https://www.importavehicle.com/california-buyer

http://www.gtrusablog.com/2015/11/first-california-legal-nissan-skyline.html
Thanks for the links. I've started to look more into it when I saw a few ROW 1992 964's that have been imported into the U.S from EU that posted up for sale. Mind you, there were a bit more easier to get CA compliant since they were LHD and those MY were already sold in the U.S back in the 90's.

My Skyline GTR "want" has faded due to the whole cool factor of driving of a RHD. I remember when I was younger, back when the Honda RHD JDM conversions were huge. I drove my friend's RHD DC2 Type R and it was fun but it got old really quick.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Sean definitely knows his stuff and is the Skyline guru of gurus.
^^ From my friend's conference call with him alone, plus reading his many interview articles over the years and his history as an RI and exporter as well as his extensive work with Skylines, I completely agree.

Thanks for the links. I've started to look more into it when I saw a few ROW 1992 964's that have been imported into the U.S from EU that posted up for sale. Mind you, there were a bit more easier to get CA compliant since they were LHD and those MY were already sold in the U.S back in the 90's.

My Skyline GTR "want" has faded due to the whole cool factor of driving of a RHD. I remember when I was younger, back when the Honda RHD JDM conversions were huge. I drove my friend's RHD DC2 Type R and it was fun but it got old really quick.
It's the "substantially similar" legal argument that gets me when it comes to the importation of LHD rare models that in reality are very substantially similar other than perhaps the actual never-sold-in-USA chassis and driveline hardware that make them so desirable to import in the first place.

Personally I've remained a Skyline R32, R33 and R34 GT-R fan since the 90's. RHD doesn't make a difference to me either way. RHD was never a draw for me and I couldn't care less if it's considered "cool" by some... or on the other hand disliked by some ;) To me it's just an interface quirk to get used to in a rare and special performance car that was made only in RHD.

Webweasel

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GT4 ST205, A90 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
I hope this will be acceptable to post but it seems appropriate since it came out only days after Demuro's own review ;)

Hilarious... and definitely NSFW.

Always upvote RCR. Bloody funny guys.

They had to take down their ST205 video 3 times as I kept correcting mistakes.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Fair point and one I've seen others raise, but at the same time the R34 is essentially the same car as the R33 (much to the chagrin of elitists).

They welded the C-pillar to increase body rigidity, tossed in the Getrag 6spd, and changed the interior and exterior aesthetics and called it even. A ton of the mods for both cars are interchangeable as a result.

It was also barely any faster on the 'Ring; I wanna say it was like 3-4seconds (which is why Nissan never released the time). At the same time, the goal wasn't really to make the car faster but instead to improve handling and feel.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Now, that wasn't originally the plan. The car was supposed to have the road going variant of the VQ30DETT seen in the Nismo GT500 car, but accounting wouldn't approve the development costs, thus RB26 again.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Why do we all compare the R34 to the MKIV instead of the R33? The MKIV was released before the R33 thus giving the R34 6 more years of innovation
Who's we?

Both ended production in 2002 (A80 and R34) as well as FD and the Z32 and GTO in '00. They had all battled...

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'We' as in a hypothetical subset of people for my rhetorical question
Oh, you mean the F&F, 2F2F, Forza and Need For Speed group. :D

Honestly, the R32, R33 and R34 all battled the Supra.
Sponsored