Accidently added Regular 87 in the tank, major oppsie.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
The car will be fine. Every car manufacturer that requires 91 octane fuel knows that there will still be people who put 87 octane in the tank, so they don't factory tune the engine to self destruct on 87 octane. At most, the vehicle will pull timing and you'll be down a bit on power.

Think about it----if 87 octane hurt the car, they'd have quite a mess on their hands trying to fight warranty repairs by proving that owners used less than 91 octane fuel. So for that reason alone, a modern car designed for 91 octane will run just fine on 87 octane. Like I said, the timing will be retarded by the knock sensors (especially if you really get into the boost), so you'll be down on power, but the engine will be just fine. It's really not a huge deal...
Sponsored

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Yeah the ECU will detect any knock and pull timing. It will be fine, if anything down on power.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Gonna take the L on this one. I stopped by my local Chevron as the premium was cheap. I had about 2 bars on the tank of premium inside.

I wasn't paying much attention and saw the red label assumed it was 91. put in about 31 dollars of regular until i realized my mistake.

I added about 15 dollars of 91 to see if it might fix the issue. I also walked down a few blocks to get some Octane Booster and mixed that as well.

My question is, has any of you had this incident before, and did it do anything to your Supra?

or should i just not worry about it too much??
A major oopsy is when you fill up with Diesel instead of gas not 87 instead of 91. Just drive it around like your Nanna until you get to 1/4 tank and fill it with 91. It'll be fine.

Phil

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
The car will be fine. Every car manufacturer that requires 91 octane fuel knows that there will still be people who put 87 octane in the tank, so they don't factory tune the engine to self destruct on 87 octane. At most, the vehicle will pull timing and you'll be down a bit on power.

Think about it----if 87 octane hurt the car, they'd have quite a mess on their hands trying to fight warranty repairs by proving that owners used less than 91 octane fuel. So for that reason alone, a modern car designed for 91 octane will run just fine on 87 octane. Like I said, the timing will be retarded by the knock sensors (especially if you really get into the boost), so you'll be down on power, but the engine will be just fine. It's really not a huge deal...
This. With oem programming, Iā€™ve actually done a ton of testing on all sorts of fuel, from 87 to e25 on multiple platforms. Modern ecus and knock sensors are very sophisticated.

As long as you donā€™t compete in the 24hrs of Nurburgring, you will be fine.

Fun fact: I overfill on ethanol when I drive to track days so I can just add 93 when I get there and get back down to E30 for my first session. Life hack šŸ˜Ž

Ryanthetemp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Past: E28 M5, E24 M6, E30 325is
Why is octane booster bad? Saw multiple people chime in and say that, just curious I havenā€™t heard that.

AyeBird

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bagged 9th gen Accord and hopefully, an A90.
Totaled. Time to part out.

Isnā€™t this why cars have knock sensors? To adjust itself and retard timing in instances like this? As long as you donā€™t frequently put 87, youā€™ll be okay.