Aftermarket Steering Wheel Install

SaeJPark

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
Just purchased a Rexpeed wheel and wanted to gather thoughts on whether I should install myself vs a shop nearby that I can trust. I’ve watched a good amount of installs and I gather it’s pretty simple but I worry about potential airbag issues or steering issues if I install on my own. Also if anyone has any extra videos they used with a complete install it would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

kehvin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 3.0 Premium Nocturnal / '20 Tacoma Cement
Only hard part imo is getting the wheel off with the springs. Other than that its easy and I feel you should just do it yourself.
Just unplug your battery and have a set day to do it. Youll prob hate the process of some things but will enjoy the result

OP
OP

SaeJPark

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
Only hard part imo is getting the wheel off with the springs. Other than that its easy and I feel you should just do it yourself.
Just unplug your battery and have a set day to do it. Youll prob hate the process of some things but will enjoy the result
Thanks I appreciate it! Do you have any links by any chance on the install the best I found apparently missed a crucial step with the airbag according to the comments.

kehvin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 3.0 Premium Nocturnal / '20 Tacoma Cement
Thanks I appreciate it! Do you have any links by any chance on the install the best I found apparently missed a crucial step with the airbag according to the comments.
Its been a while since I last did mine but I think I just looked up “MKV Supra Steering Wheel Install” and watched like 3-5 videos and conjured up a plan to do it. Usually I do the process while watching the video so that helps.

Chris_a90

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra 3.0 premium
Pretty easy once you get the tricky air bag out, sometimes you luck out and it’s easier to remove than others. I would say you do it yourself, if I could do it so can you.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
Just purchased a Rexpeed wheel and wanted to gather thoughts on whether I should install myself vs a shop nearby that I can trust. I’ve watched a good amount of installs and I gather it’s pretty simple but I worry about potential airbag issues or steering issues if I install on my own. Also if anyone has any extra videos they used with a complete install it would be greatly appreciated.
I had the same dilemma initially, but in the end I found it was pretty straightforward to do it myself. I did have a challenge with the bolt. I could not loosen it with any of my tools so I had my trustworthy mechanic help me with it (I had to remove the air bag in his parking lot). Removing the airbag is easy, if you remember to keep it pressed down when you fish for the second clip. If you do it right, it takes only a couple of minutes.

I watched all the videos I could find as not one was comprehensive enough. Here are some tricks I discovered that none of the videos mentioned.

- To remove the top molding (where the buttons are), don’t pull on it; instead, push the steering wheel’s rubber away from the molding’s pins. On the bottom molding, you will need to use a trim tool to carefully lift the molding. Use your new steering wheel for reference where and how the pins attach.
- To remove the receptacles for the air bag clips, after removing the screws, hold the steering wheel so that a receptacle is directly in front of you. Grab the rear of the receptacle and pull it towards you at an angle and it will come off instantly. Turn the steering wheel and repeat for each of the other two. To install them on the new steering repeat the process only push the receptacle in the opposite way you removed it; that is, position it at an angle and push it back and down (no need to use WD40 and struggle pushing down as one video suggests).
- Pay close attention to all the wires before you clip the air bag back on. Make sure each is in its proper channel and nothing is sticking out. I missed one… On my first drive after finishing the install I was startled by the horn going off every time I turned right. After removing the air bag, again, I found the horn cable was sticking up just a bit. Needles to say, I I became an expert at removing the air bag.
- One video walks you through a diagnostic to ensure all the controls work properly. Do that.

Cheers

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
Do it yourself and save the cash. Plenty of folks on here have installed themselves (me included) without issue.

Also it’s generally the same steps on other cars to replace the steering wheel (I also did it on my GLA45 as well after doing the Supra) so might as well use the opportunity to learn how to do it.

Only tip I have is push down slightly on the airbag when you’re searching for the release springs and have an impact wrench ready for the bolt holding the wheel on to the column.

morfhious3

First Name
hal
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
evo x, isf,explorer eco boost
yeah saved the money.i just did mine 3 weeks ago.the hard part is the spring.it took me freakin 2 days of trying to hit the spring to push which i was not hitting.i was about to give up and bring it to the shop.they quoted me $350.before i was to bring it to them,i said to myself,ill try one more time,guess what.i hit that freakin spring.and that was it.watched youtube videos and paid attention on the angle of how they insert it to the hole to hit the spring.just be patient.

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
I am even more worried than OP to do this hence why holding off for now - Look forward to hearing how it goes and congrats in advance for building up the courage, great to see all the useful supportive messages here gents 👍

OP
OP

SaeJPark

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
Finally got the chance to try the install, had to go out of the country, got the airbag off which took an unholy amount of time but I ran into this. I have this where all the other videos I’ve watched have a 16 mm bit removal instead. Has anybody else experienced this or know what I need?
IMG_1806.jpeg

Optimusprimerib

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 manual base
I can’t confirm (haven’t done mine yet) but I recall T60 torx was mentioned by others

tvnguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
will need an E torx socket to remove that, not sure of the size as mine had a regular metric bolt.

Optimusprimerib

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 manual base
Just searched it up and looks right… extremely unfortunate I have to redo all of this again 😭. Do you know why they differ just wondering
I can only guess it’s manual vs auto, but just a guess.
Sponsored