AMS CF engine cover question

IS2000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Porsche Cayman, 2003 Mitsubishi EVO8, 2020 GR Supra
I’m about to replace my oem engine cover with the AMS dry carbon one. For those who do have them. Are they holding up fine? I live in a hot climate with 90-100F all year long. Do these dry CF materials turn yellow with the heat inside our engine bays? Also how’s the fitment and are there any insulation materials on the inside of the covers?
Thanks!
Sponsored

jreinlie4

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I’m about to replace my oem engine cover with the AMS dry carbon one. For those who do have them. Are they holding up fine? I live in a hot climate with 90-100F all year long. Do these dry CF materials turn yellow with the heat inside our engine bays? Also how’s the fitment and are there any insulation materials on the inside of the covers?
Thanks!
I ordered mine from IND Distribution because they offered a gloss version of the AMS covers (Engine, ECU). They have been installed for a couple months or so, I've done quite a bit of driving mid day and I live in FL where the temps have been around 90F everyday. No discoloration.. In fact, they still look shiny and new like the day they were installed. Do don't forget to transfer the padding/insulation from the OEM engine cover to the AMS Cover.

9F07976F-02AB-4027-838F-244129209D85.JPG
D0B19893-7B08-42BA-B359-876392568DC7.JPG

OP
OP
IS2000

IS2000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I ordered mine from IND Distribution because they offered a gloss version of the AMS covers (Engine, ECU). They have been installed for a couple months or so, I've done quite a bit of driving mid day and I live in FL where the temps have been around 90F everyday. No discoloration.. In fact, they still look shiny and new like the day they were installed. Do don't forget to transfer the padding/insulation from the OEM engine cover to the AMS Cover.

Thank you for your response and nice looking engine bay there! One more thing that I would like to ask. Did you have to cut the padding/insulation from the oem engine cover or was it just easily removable/transferable between the covers?

jreinlie4

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Thank you for your response and nice looking engine bay there! One more thing that I would like to ask. Did you have to cut the padding/insulation from the OEM engine cover or was it just easily removable/transferable between the covers?
It was easily removable, no cutting required. No glue, just plastic studs that hold the insulation/padding in place. The AMS cover doesn't have the additional plastic studs for the insulation. However, the insulation is still secure enough to stay in place until the new cover is reinstalled. Once installed, the insulation is pinned between the cover and engine so it can't move anyway. It is surprising how much more rigid and lightweight the carbon fiber is vs. the OEM plastic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IS2000

IS2000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It was easily removable, no cutting required. No glue, just plastic studs that hold the insulation/padding in place. The AMS cover doesn't have the additional plastic studs for the insulation. However, the insulation is still secure enough to stay in place until the new cover is reinstalled. Once installed, the insulation is pinned between the cover and engine so it can't move anyway. It is surprising how much more rigid and lighter the carbon fiber is vs. the OEM plastic.
Thank you for your response!

jreinlie4

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
No problem!

If you ordered the dry carbon version you will have no issues at all with discoloration as carbon fiber handles heat very well. When you see discoloration of carbon fiber its usually the clear coat yellowing from UV rays on the exterior of a car. Since the engine bay is not exposed to direct sunlight and you have no clear coat, it is almost guaranteed you will not have issues.

jorligan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ferrari 458, McLaren 650S, Porsche GT3, Alfa 4C, Ford Raptor, Porsche Macan, 21 Supra Turbo
Have the matte cover. No issues including track time which would generate significant heat.
Sponsored