B58 Reliability when pushed

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
So I’ve heard the B58 is supposed to be a strong, reliable engine with mostly forged internals (I believe pistons are cast?) which is one of the reasons I bought the car, as I will be making it a track weapon. I came from a 718 Cayman that had fully forged internals and a good low friction cylinder lining to help keep things durable. Drove the car hard every day, tracked it 8 times in a year and out 26k miles on it. No issues at all and ran strong.

Can this engine handle being pushed hard and used on the track frequently? I just found out a member here had cylinder scoring and some other issues pop up around 30k miles, requiring a good chunk of money to fix. One thing I have first hand experience with on my prior Audi.

Makes me wonder how this engine will handle high heat and stress for above average durations and intense track sessions, and what might happen when others hit 30k miles. It’s the first failure I’ve heard of so far, so it could be a fluke, but always makes me think.

EDIT: looks like a few people here have had cylinder wall scoring..

I changed to 5w-30 on my first oil change around 800 miles, I wanted to flush out the stuff in it from break in.
Sponsored

Last edited:

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
OP
OP
OneTimeAccount

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Best person to reach out that frequents the Supra in the track publicly is @JackieD86 .

https://www.youtube.com/c/JackieDing86/videos.
Yeah he tracks it a lot for sure lol. I really like his build and vids. @JackieD86 gets great times on the tracks he goes to and that’s actually my inspiration for getting a Supra. I frequent local tracks such as Waterford Hills and Grattan and have some personal bests to beat.

I just learned the B58 doesn’t have a dry sump which I believe is better than a wet sump for high G’s when cornering, so I’m going to look into ways to prevent oil starvation as much as possible unless someone tells me it isn’t needed.

JackieD86

First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jd86racing.com
Car(s)
Supra A90, AE86, S2K AP2
Hey man, I haven't been on the forums too often as of late but still check all the messages and such. If you (or anyone else reading) have any questions, feel free to DM me here or email me at [email protected].

From my personal experience: this B58 is FREAKING epic for track use. People say the Honda F-series from the S2K is reliable but I think I've tracked the Supra just as much but harder, and it's barely given me any issues. Not a single car on the grid in Gridlife or GTA could do what we do with the Supra, run a class record then drive it straight out the race track to get ice cream while returning 30 mpg, lol.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Jackie is the man.

Not in same league but i track about 3 times a month (prob 20/25 full track days) Haven't owned it a year yet. and am one of the "aggressive" red group members at my home track here.
The engine is VERY robust.

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW & Toyota
@JackieD86 you havent done any oil system monds on your car so far?

no issues found with the oilpressure when tracking with semi’s and highG corners? (Logging?)

This was an issue on non M cars in the past with the N55 (predecessor of the B58)

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2021 Toyota Sienna
I probably don't track as often as some of the others on here but my car has definitely seen it's fair share of miles ( We've probably gotten a good 30 or so track days in the past 10 months of ownership).

Car has been SOLID. As Jackie mentioned, I honestly don't know anything in this range that can be tracked so hard but be driven home on the same day. I think the only thing comes close would probably be something in Porsche's catalogue. But that's a whole another league.

JackieD86

First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jd86racing.com
Car(s)
Supra A90, AE86, S2K AP2
@JackieD86 you havent done any oil system monds on your car so far?

no issues found with the oilpressure when tracking with semi’s and highG corners? (Logging?)

This was an issue on non M cars in the past with the N55 (predecessor of the B58)
I've only ever had ONE single incident of oil pressure issue happen to us. It was Autobahn's fast Turn 4, with aero and grippy 200tw tires we were peaking at close to 1.9-2 G's. The car went into limp mode, shut all the power down, and we found a code that said the vanos oil pressure low. Added an extra quart of oil into the engine, and that issue never came back again... So since then, we've always ran the engine on the maximum oil capacity side of things, and always have a single quart of oil on the ready.

The cool things I learned about this car from AMS is that the oil pressure is actually electronically adjustable. It's part of the tune (don't ask me how, I never played with it myself) and was able to be adjusted within Ecutek. So whereas the stock B58 from factory targets around 80 psi of oil pressure (5.5 bar), AMS's shop car was turned up to 6.5 bar (~94 psi) and ours was set to 7.5 bar, or ~108 psi. In high speed, high duration, long left handers the car will deviate from 108 a little bit, but not enough to cause much concerns to be honest. It's no dry sump, but it's pretty freaking cool.

I'll also be honest. Our car has a LOT of aero, over 1000 lbs of downforce at 120 mph. I think for a track car, light aero, tires, suspension and so on, you'll encounter fuel starve on right hand turns much earlier than any oil starve going left. We worked out a solution for the fuel starve with Titan Motorsport, so if anyone get to that issue here feel free to reach out for more info.

TLDR: Run the car on max oil capacity (and add maybe a tiny bit more), and keep above half tank of fuel while on track. Keep both fluids going in, and the B58 will sing reliably for a long time to come.

OP
OP
OneTimeAccount

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Great info. Cool to learn that people track their Supras and push them hard without any issues. Usually forums are just full of problems and woes so its refressing to log on here and see a few posts stating they track theirs hard. I thought my 8-10 track days a year was a lot... to see people doing multiple per month is awesome.

I am looing into getting some aero on my car to help with downforce. I read that a rear differser makes a big difference and am wondering that if I had to do just one first, if that would be the best.

OP
OP
OneTimeAccount

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Good call. I was looking into the APR front splitter and Verus rear diffuser as a combo.

Ktowndevil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90
Hey man, I haven't been on the forums too often as of late but still check all the messages and such. If you (or anyone else reading) have any questions, feel free to DM me here or email me at [email protected].

From my personal experience: this B58 is FREAKING epic for track use. People say the Honda F-series from the S2K is reliable but I think I've tracked the Supra just as much but harder, and it's barely given me any issues. Not a single car on the grid in Gridlife or GTA could do what we do with the Supra, run a class record then drive it straight out the race track to get ice cream while returning 30 mpg, lol.
9n7cdgrui0eqw3clmmow3nd7k3adqntowcmnin5s&rid=giphy.gif

well said, jackie; thank you!

agreed. i drive the supra around LA like i was on the track and beat her up ?

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I have another B58 (M240i). It essentially runs WOT or hard braking nearly nonstop. Tuned. Only issue has been an O2 sensor. No other problem. And strangely not an oil eater like my Supra.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Super reliable engine can handle anything until it breaks.
Sponsored