OP
OP
OneTimeAccount

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
I have another B58 (M240i). It essentially runs WOT or hard braking nearly nonstop. Tuned. Only issue has been an O2 sensor. No other problem. And strangely not an oil eater like my Supra.
I’m baffled by the 2021’s oil consumption issue. Reading the manual, it states it will consume oil depending on driving habits and it then lists things that can make it consume oil. Also states to check it and top it off if necessary. Strange that they make it sound like a normal thing, but I’ve never had a higher performance car that does this.

I’ve been searching and searching every other day for news about it but there’s nothing that points to what the cause is.
Sponsored

Digidi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NoCar
Does anyone has logging from the track wher you can see geh g-forces (lateral and logitunal) and the oil pressure?

The S58 engien have a oil return pump where it pumps back the oil from the areas wher the acceleration is pushing the oil. Does anybody know if you can implent this into the Subra B58 engine?

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
So I’ve heard the B58 is supposed to be a strong, reliable engine with mostly forged internals (I believe pistons are cast?)

EDIT: looks like a few people here have had cylinder wall scoring..
Just a side note on the pistons.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this but I highly doubt the pistons in the B58 are plain cast. Rather, I'd think they are hypereutectic semi-forged (different process than true 2618 or 4032 aluminum forgings) since this is a high performance forced-induction engine. The 2JZ-GTE, 1JZ-GTE and 2JZ-GE Non-VVT-i engines also all came from the factory with strong hypereutectic pistons.

How well an OEM implements their own semi-forged hypereutectic piston examples varies between manufacturers/suppliers and engine specs. I can't speak to what people have said about cylinder wall scoring with this engine.

Most production turbo engines use this type of piston for the strength, ease of manufacturing and supposedly because they have better expansion and contraction properties from dead cold which is supposed to help with longevity at the cylinder walls and with oil blowby control for better emissions.

If these engines had simple cast pistons I don't think they would handle boost reliably for very long.

Digidi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NoCar
Hmm would be really nice I’ve somebody can provide a curve of longitunal and lateral acceleration and oil pressure.

@JackieD86 Can you please maybe provide some readings? Would be really nice to know.
Sponsored

Last edited: