Basic Wiring Question (hopefully)

Huckleberry

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z4MC
So I have read quite a bit - impressive detail by the way from many of you! - but have a specific question that I hope can be answered.

In prior cars with premium sound systems, they almost always do a reasonable job except for bass. So a good solution (for me) has simply been to put in an aftermarket amplifier dedicated to a separate enclosed subwoofer. I am not bothered by the space the sub enclosure takes up and I keep it easily removeable for the rare instance that I need more space.

So....it appears getting the primary power is pretty straightforward given the battery location, but I am a little confused on exactly what I need to do to get the audio signal into the amp, and then obviously out to the subwoofer. A pic would be awesome if I can be so demanding!

Thanks!!!!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Huckleberry

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z4MC
OP
OP

Huckleberry

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z4MC
So.....looking around some more on all these threads I did find a nice write up (Thanks static63) on an Alpine amp and sub setup pretty much exactly like I am considering. This was very helpful - it seems like my only option is to use the speaker wires to the factory subs as my aftermarket amp signal.

Poking around on crutchfield I found a JL Audio Amp - JD500/1 which seems like a decent option and in the manual it says as follows:

" Line output converters are usually not needed with this amplifier. If you find that the output cannot be reduced sufficiently with a direct speaker level signal applied to the amplifier and the “Input Voltage” switch in its “High” position, you may use a line output converter (like the JL Audio LoC-22) or voltage divider to reduce the signal"

Anyone care to comment on the use of this amp per my interests? And pair it with a nice 10 inch sealed sub of some kind (still searching for this, but open to ideas here as well).
Sponsored