Ben's Supra Build

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
Damn, that brake setup looks so sick! I was just looking at Brembo's "alien fist" calipers and started digging into BBK's for the new Supra and was curious as to why so many were stating you lose the parking brake functionality with their upgraded rear caliper/rotor setup.
The rear parking brake works by actuating an electric motor that clamps the rear brakes to the rotor without hydraulic pressure. It's all integrated into the rear caliper. It's not like a drum brake system that use a cable and springs to grab the inside of the rear rotor.
Sponsored

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
The rear parking brake works by actuating an electric motor that clamps the rear brakes to the rotor without hydraulic pressure. It's all integrated into the rear caliper. It's not like a drum brake system that use a cable and springs to grab the inside of the rear rotor.
Gotcha, thank you for the explanation. I have a 3.0 MT on the way so the parking brake is arguably more crucial for the MT cars even if you park it in gear as opposed to leaving it in neutral. The stock rear brakes have them separate as two calipers. So i'm wondering, will I be able to use a rear brake kit like yours with the MT car? Because I need to retain parking brake functionality (despite all these posts/reports of potential e parking brake failures) I'm assuming so, just haven't seen it done on an MT car yet.

ciccio90

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 GR | Macan GTS | RR
What an amazing and clean build. Really like the direction you took.

Looking forward to where it evolves...you've given me some ideas.
Sponsored