Bent Lower Control Arm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR
Last year I was at Road America and bent my Lower Control Arm after running over the outer rumble strip. These rumble strips are some of the most violent ones that I have seen. I chalked it up to having a defective lower control arm, but this past weekend at CMP another Supra driver bent his lower control arm on the outer gator/rumble strip as well. So has anyone else experienced this issue? Are the SPL control arms strong enough to handle this abuse?

Below is the video & picture of what happened.

Right control arm.png
Sponsored

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I come into turn 8 a little too hot and under-steered into the rumble strip, recovered without much drama. As soon as I straightened out I noticed the wheel was cocked, followed by a bunch of chassis and diff codes; I assume due to the level sensor being out of position. It was a relatively innocuous encounter and shocked it was enough to bend the LCA. I was able to limp the car home fine.

Here's mine:

1657148881845.png

1657148908430.png

Steering wheel straight:

1657148943622.png

I have some in-car video I will post once uploaded.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I’ve caught air off of track curbing with enough force to shove the wheels into the upper fender liners, gone two wheels off and clipped the side of the track and launched the whole side of the car in the air. My SPL arms are still straight as an arrow. Even the front alignment stayed solid (spl lower arms and tie rod ends) only thing that happened was my rear camber moved slightly from the oem eccentric hardware slipping. Toe stayed solid (spl rear toe arms)

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the SPL arms and realigned yesterday (finally..!). Thankfully all of the chassis, diff, parking assist, etc.. codes cleared themselves after a few miles of driving so no dealer visit needed. :beer:

RE: dealer service -- FYI A local dealership quoted me "at least a $2-3k job" to replace the arm, realign and recalibrate. WTF!? The OEM part is like $120 list and it's maybe an hour of labor. Incredible...

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Sebring in a S2K I hopped off the high rumbles between 15-16 at pretty high speed and broke a knuckle. It was resting in the wheel well :doh: Luckily that was the only damage done.
C2E1E74E-B7EC-4268-8CE7-44F2938333EA.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TwoFastTwoStop
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR
Installed the SPL arms and realigned yesterday (finally..!). Thankfully all of the chassis, diff, parking assist, etc.. codes cleared themselves after a few miles of driving so no dealer visit needed. :beer:

RE: dealer service -- FYI A local dealership quoted me "at least a $2-3k job" to replace the arm, realign and recalibrate. WTF!? The OEM part is like $120 list and it's maybe an hour of labor. Incredible...

That is insane, below is what I was charged to replace a lower control arm.
1659642363105.png

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That is insane, below is what I was charged to replace a lower control arm.

Yeah, man... I couldn't believe it. :confused1: I asked more than once to try and clarify how/why a $100 part and an hour or 2 of labor added up to thousands of dollars. He claimed they had to program this and recalibrate that and how the EPS could be damaged and could even be several thousand more based on what they find blah blah blah... I was totally baffled. This was without even seeing the car -- I texted a few pics and gave a detailed description. At the end of the day they were clearly quoting a "we don't want to work on it" price.

Anyhey, all good now! I'm going back to CMP 8/20 - 8/21 and I'm registered for the 10/8 - 10/9 event as well so will see you there!

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I've swapped a LCA in a parking lot between track sessions. Easily less than an hour and since there is no adjustability, it won't change alignment enough to matter. Even with the SPL parts, if you measure correctly, you won't change the alignment.

The dealers are just trying to scam people. They aren't called stealerships for no reason.

@TwoFastTwoStop, looks like you found at least an honest service center at a dealer.

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra

I have all spl arms on my car. 50 track days. But I do not bounce curbs or put 2 wheels off. So you will not find anything stronger. All good and installed all myself. Only difficult one was rear upper as the bolt hits frame so have to drop sub frame. But if you put the bolt in the the other direction then you are good and can take out without dropping sub frame. If you go this far arms and with camber plates the can get about -2.9 front with stock or sport springs as further they will rub shock tower ribs. Best set up has been -2.8 front- 2.6 rear 0 toe front and 1/16 tow in rear. This is with 275/35/18 square set up.

E7E6AE88-80C0-4DA1-B7BC-9E913109B1D5.jpeg
Sponsored