Blown Engine? Blown Turbo?

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Want to start a conversation. Supra has been out a few years. Outside of track/drag racing any blown engines in the wild? I know the B58 has been out longer, but curious to see if any catastrophic damage has happened to our cars.

What's max psi our engine can handle?

What are some points of weakness owners have noticed with our platform?
Sponsored

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20'Supra 3.0 premium; AA DP; AS Intk; MBRP Ex; JB4
You forgot @zrk @Jesse DaBears etc, etc…

Although It would be nice to have this info in one thread that isn’t full of off topic comments, arguing, insults, etc, etc…. Or a posted document.

aside from the above, I read 20+ psi is dangerous for the stock turbo. Not sure I’ve seen anything about a max for the engine itself. I think the answer to that question is more complicated than a ## psi.

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium

Although It would be nice to have this info in one thread that isn’t full of off topic comments, arguing, insults, etc, etc…. Or a posted document.

aside from the above, I read 20+ psi is dangerous for the stock turbo. Not sure I’ve seen anything about a max for the engine itself. I think the answer to that question is more complicated than a ## psi.
20-22+is fine for the stock turbo… or I’ll be able to contribute in a much more meaningful way to this thread soon 😂

OP
OP
jtsang25

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

True. I didn't tag them because I knew someone would or they would chime in anyways lol.

Ya my questions were super simple and hopefully develop as peopled joined the conversation.

• Haha
Reactions: zrk
OP
OP
jtsang25

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20-22+is fine for the stock turbo… or I’ll be able to contribute in a much more meaningful way to this thread soon 😂
Are you planning to blow your turbo soon? lol

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
22-24 psi is fine on the stock turbo. It's just blowing hot air after that. Not great on anything, and unnecessary boost pressure.

The engines are seeming to hold around 800hp before lifting heads or breaking shit. Around is the keyword there. Some have kicked rods at 700hp, and some have lifted heads around 700hp.

On my stock motor, I made 77xhp and push it hard with no problems. When I sent the engine out
to get rebuilt, there were no signs of abnormal wear. There are also a couple of stock motor cars in the 8s, which is ~900-1000hp, depending on 🪄things🪄.

I hate to say this because someone's going to yell at me, but once you touch the boost dial, it's pay-to-play. Anything can happen at any time, and it's only your fault. It's not your tuner's fault; it's not the installer's fault. It's yours for fucking with a perfectly good car.

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I hate to say this because someone's going to yell at me, but once you touch the boost dial, it's pay-to-play. Anything can happen at any time, and it's only your fault. It's not your tuner's fault; it's not the installer's fault. It's yours for fucking with a perfectly good car.
But can I blame someone else? There’s always a chance….

1B2A449A-8863-4008-BF6E-8D2E6E783630.png

OP
OP
jtsang25

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22-24 psi is fine on the stock turbo. It's just blowing hot air after that. Not great on anything, and unnecessary boost pressure.

The engines are seeming to hold around 800hp before lifting heads or breaking shit. Around is the keyword there. Some have kicked rods at 700hp, and some have lifted heads around 700hp.

On my stock motor, I made 77xhp and push it hard with no problems. When I sent the engine out
to get rebuilt, there were no signs of abnormal wear. There are also a couple of stock motor cars in the 8s, which is ~900-1000hp, depending on 🪄things🪄.

What's stock boost. I've read through a bunch of threads and can't get a definitive answer.