BMW announces they're moving on from facelifts

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I'm kinda all for this. Your 2-3-4-year-old car isn't "out of date" because the same model with a new bumper cover came out. I'm more into the tech and niceties anyway. I just hope it doesn't end up like the sport bike market where 14 years later the same model is being built.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I'm kinda all for this. Your 2-3-4-year-old car isn't "out of date" because the same model with a new bumper cover came out. I'm more into the tech and niceties anyway. I just hope it doesn't end up like Nissan where 14 years later the same model is being built.
Fixed it.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I can't say I'm all that enthused about their deeper integration into OTA updates as a replacement for periodic revision changes throughout a model's production run. If they can update the vehicle with feature or refinement changes wirelessly they can also remove some features or functionality wirelessly whenever they feel they want to.

And that's before they find more hardware built in features to charge perpetual subscription fees for (with the exception of heated seats).

There's always the unofficial option of disconnecting the modem with a bypass/pass-through aftermarket harness. Then the car you bought isn't changed one way or the other for better or worse.

And yes, of course pretty much every automaker is moving towards an OTA update software defined system like this. It's inevitable at this point, sadly. It's just annoying that instead of hard revision updates every so many years to cars that are largely offline machines we're moving in this direction.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
I'm kinda all for this. Your 2-3-4-year-old car isn't "out of date" because the same model with a new bumper cover came out. I'm more into the tech and niceties anyway. I just hope it doesn't end up like the sport bike market where 14 years later the same model is being built.
I think that's where they are going except for the interior and technological updates or maybe in the case for the EV models, Improved range. Companies are always trying to cut cost and increase profits. Take the new Tacoma for example on the same frame as the latest Tundra. Same goes for the G87 sharing the same G80 under body CLAR frame/chasis. Less of a hassle and less costly rather than having an G87 frame, a G80 frame, and G82 frame. The future will be all about updates and comfort features or even AI and better Idrives.

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘20 M4 CS, ‘24 GR Supra 45th LE
well these aren’t entry level Suzukis and bmw, triumph and Ducati update their bikes often. Buy better bikes ;-)

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
The future will be all about updates and comfort features or even AI and better Idrives.
You're spot on... and as such this is unfortunate for some of us. Updates offering extra "comfort" features and AI driver assist features are of zero interest to me.

Getting lightweight bucket seats installed in place of stock very heavy 8-14 way power seats for instance will not be accomplished with OTA updates. That won't be for everyone of course but there will still be an interest in traditional physically permanent customization that software defined features will not provide.

But this is the paradigm most cars will be increasingly integrated with. I'll be interested to see how it goes for the enthusiast models each brand offers and what balance between customer defined non-official customization and manufacturer defined official customization is like in coming years.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
I hope you all realise this is just corporate speak for "We're currently working on a new way to make you pay more for less." 😒
It always is! Take for example the subscription model. Mercedes was charging a subscription fee in their new EVs for extra power.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
It always is! Take for example the subscription model. Mercedes was charging a subscription fee in their new EVs for extra power.
Absolutely! I still remember the BMW CarPlay debacle. No deal. It's like software subscriptions in general - I will never support authors that go down this route.
Sponsored