Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
Hello Forum Folk,
I'm not sure how well received this is going to be but I'm considering (probably early 2025 to get an ex demo with some juicy depreciation) a Mustang Dark Horse. I'm itching for a manual after just over two years in an Auto Supra (3 years by the time I probably switch). I don't really drive as much as I used to due to working from home and really miss the engagement of a manual on the occasions I do get out. Maybe you're thinking to yourself "well a manual Supra would sort that right out" but alas I have a rule: "Thou shall not purchase the same car twice".

I've never driven a naturally aspirated car on the road and never owned a V8 so this feels like a great opportunity before they are gone for good!

Reason for a thread?
1. Does anyone know what the current S550 platform (I think) Mustang is like on UK roads? I've read its 3" wider than the supra which may be a problem on B roads.
2. Any other fun options? I've thought about it extensively and nothing really gives me the fizz.
3. What do you think about the Dark Horse? I've heard the UK version is going to be quite a bit dumbed down for European sales (less power, no performance pack & I'm not sure it will get a Tremec gearbox)
4. I was also considering a Bullitt Mustang of the current generation as a more affordable solution, any experience or opinion welcome.

I'm looking at this from a UK perspective in regards to how it handles the road but if you're from the US and have any other experiences let me know.

img-9274-642ee12057878.jpg

Image credit: Car & Driver
Sponsored

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Very exciting mate, I love the design of the newest one, but have no direct experience with them either, nor of any V8 for that matter.

The only thing abundantly clear is the loud rumble that always distinguishes it, that would the #1 selling point for me.
To this day I am so disappointed by how quiet the Supra is vs the 2019/2020 models :(

Hypothetically (depending where you live, where I live the road surface is truly horrendous) I guess the Mustangs' suspension will be a little softer and perhaps ride a bit nicer in comfort/normal driving?
If you're a B road racer though, then perhaps you might miss the more nimble Supra - just food for thought but wonder if anyone here has driven/owned both and can give concrete feedback.

Whatever you choose, Bullitt, 2024, (or even the Manual Supra if you decide to break your rule), all of them will be good fun and a privilege to have 😃

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I drove a new S650, not a dark horse, just an 10AA non performance pack 5.0, so the lazy one, and while it sounded amazing, it was not very sporty, great GT car, faster than supra I think, but a really nice cruiser, from what i have heard the Dark horse is much much better, and the reviews seem to say it is a huge improvement, especially in steering feel over the base, especially if you get the sticky Pirelli tires, i have not heard what UK market will loose, but if it looses all the good option+ the tremec than I don't know if it will be worth it. the tremec is what makes the DH worth it for me as the standard MT is made out of glass and just not great. I think a properly specced DH will more exciting and fun than the supra and more of a corner carver, + they really do not need much in the way of mods, I'm not sure how the UK will ever get the exhaust we have here as the performance exhaust is pretty gnarly already stock. Best of luck. Another option, Emira V6, I have one coming in a month!

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘20 M4 CS, ‘24 GR Supra 45th LE
I’ve owned multiple Mustangs, S197 and S550. I even at the same time owned a Roush RS2 (think early S550 GT Performance pack, but turned up some) and a Mk3 Focus RS. The Focus ended up being the car we kept around. It was just a better enthusiast car.

the one thing about the Mustang that people overlook is simply that it’s a big, quite heavy car. Having owned a few, I will never go back.

I just purchased a manual Supra, and there is no way a Mustang can really align with a Supra. The Ford will always feel cheap, large and juvenile in comparison.

Supra Jr.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 supra
I drove a new S650, not a dark horse, just an 10AA non performance pack 5.0, so the lazy one, and while it sounded amazing, it was not very sporty, great GT car, faster than supra I think, but a really nice cruiser, from what i have heard the Dark horse is much much better, and the reviews seem to say it is a huge improvement, especially in steering feel over the base, especially if you get the sticky Pirelli tires, i have not heard what UK market will loose, but if it looses all the good option+ the tremec than I don't know if it will be worth it. the tremec is what makes the DH worth it for me as the standard MT is made out of glass and just not great. I think a properly specced DH will more exciting and fun than the supra and more of a corner carver, + they really do not need much in the way of mods, I'm not sure how the UK will ever get the exhaust we have here as the performance exhaust is pretty gnarly already stock. Best of luck. Another option, Emira V6, I have one coming in a month!
Maybe a lil faster than a stock Supra maybe, but just a tune on the supra and it's over.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Of course, but im
Comparing stock to stock, for example if you wanted to be fast with a warranty; you can get the supercharger kit…
Maybe a lil faster than a stock Supra maybe, but just a tune on the supra and it's over.

OP
OP
Crimzon_Skyz

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
Id say for my budget the Emira V6 is a little high right now, fresh off the praise from critics im not sure how long it will be before reality makes them attainable. Id love an Emira but id also be weary of the lotus reliability with their long standing reputation.

From a mustang perspective i am a bit worried about the overall size for the roads i drive and the driving position maybe being higher than the supra - does it feel taller?

Sunstorm

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Yaris, A90 Edition Supra
A Mustang would be a bit big for me, but I do certainly see the appeal now we get them in RHD.

I had a test drive in the V6 Emira and while I liked the look and the engine, I didn't like the gearbox\clutch which felt long and spongy.

1701100233459.png

For the price at the time (I was quoted £84k) I didn't think it was enough of a jump over my Supra, which I'm on my 4th year now and still really enjoying.

OP
OP
Crimzon_Skyz

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
This is a bit "Cat amongst Pigeons" but would you buy a new manual M2? I am tempted as i think prices will drop with them being so god forsakenly ugly and the history of BMW's usually means depreciation city. Could i love something so ugly though? Going from looking at the supra all day (which i think looks marvellous) i could end up with some regret.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Even when Toyota makes a $90K version (RC-F), it sucks to drive (IMO at least)... but I do love listening to Mustangs (the top-tuned V8 models at least). I've found there is definitely a replacement for displacement, so I can't ever see driving another V8 GT car myself.

I think it makes a bit more sense on your side of the pond however... since there will be more cache involved. Over here where they're almost as common as Nissan Sentras - not so much. Of course, that assumes you want the additional attention so YMMV.

S2k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
I have always been a huge fan of American muscle cars having grown up in the states, but I just could not bring myself to own a car like the Mustang on narrow UK roads. It would be fine if it was strictly a motorway/A road cruiser, but as a sports car on narrow B roads, I would find it quite a stressful experience.
I am the person at a car meet that drools over a beautiful Lambo, but in my head I am thinking “I would 100% hate to drive this on UK roads!“ It was probably not as bad years ago when most cars were smaller, but these days where it seems every other car is a fat Range Rover coming the other way it’s not fun.

I did read something on there being a lot of Emiras sitting around unsold, so there could be some bargains afoot there! (I think I would even find the Emira too wide!! 😂😂)

Sunstorm

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Yaris, A90 Edition Supra
This is a bit "Cat amongst Pigeons" but would you buy a new manual M2? I am tempted as i think prices will drop with them being so god forsakenly ugly and the history of BMW's usually means depreciation city. Could i love something so ugly though? Going from looking at the supra all day (which i think looks marvellous) i could end up with some regret.
The previous model M2 is a nice looking car, especially the CS with plenty of power as stock. The looks and extra weight of the most recent version would put me off that.

As for size in the UK, I recently had an encounter with a SUV on a country road at night while in my Yaris. Luckily I got away with just needing a new wing mirror cover (how the glass survived the impact I don't know...).
Sponsored