Car barely starts

Zoopra

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90, TRD Pro Taco
I noticed when I got home from work about a week ago my trunk kinda half popped open when I pressed the trunk release on the door. I had to use the fob to open the trunk when I got out of the car.

The following morning, my car hesitated to start. Since then, this same scenario has happened 4-5 times. The trunk will barely crack open when I push the trunk release button on the driver’s door (or even the key fob), requiring me to hit it a second time. Then the next time I start the car, it barely starts.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Sponsored

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I've opened the trunk with the bottom on the door. If you shut the door to hard it semi relaches the trunk

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I noticed when I got home from work about a week ago my trunk kinda half popped open when I pressed the trunk release on the door. I had to use the fob to open the trunk when I got out of the car.

The following morning, my car hesitated to start. Since then, this same scenario has happened 4-5 times. The trunk will barely crack open when I push the trunk release button on the driver’s door (or even the key fob), requiring me to hit it a second time. Then the next time I start the car, it barely starts.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Have you put it on a battery charger to at least exclude a weak battery? Just guessing based on the weak start.

OP
OP
Zoopra

Zoopra

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90, TRD Pro Taco
Have you put it on a battery charger to at least exclude a weak battery? Just guessing based on the weak start.
I haven’t. The car only has 1200 miles on it. I guess it could be the battery, but don’t these cars give you a battery needs maintenance warning?

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I've opened the trunk with the bottom on the door. If you shut the door to hard it semi relaches the trunk
I have this issue too so I often leave the door open then access the truck. Maybe a carbon fiber can help here haha. It seems like it might just be battery

OP
OP
Zoopra

Zoopra

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90, TRD Pro Taco
the A90's battery is super picky. If its not driven for a week or so.. The battery drains...
Yeah. I’m driving the car at least 4 days a week. I never go more than two days in a row without driving it.

I’m wondering if something is drawing power from the battery when the car is off. I locked it as mentioned above to see if that makes a difference.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Yeah. I’m driving the car at least 4 days a week. I never go more than two days in a row without driving it.

I’m wondering if something is drawing power from the battery when the car is off. I locked it as mentioned above to see if that makes a difference.
Yeah. I locked my off too. I didn’t drive it for 6 days my battery voltage dropped to below 14.. normally fully charged its 14.7 or so... that’s what my battery tender says anyways

CC²

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR Premium
The car performs an on board parasitic draw test every time with vehicle goes to sleep. If there was a draw there would be a code and dash lights on.
Funny that it does it's own draw test and should have dash lights on, but on my car I have the "normal" passenger side wiper twitch as well as multiple lights on interior buttons flashing and electronic noise under the dash after I turn the car off completely. I never have a warning for battery during these instances or any codes come up. And Im sure this is draining it down over time, especially if I only do some short drives where alternator doesnt have time to recover full SOC for battery... :dunno:

Orcuttfox

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Funny that it does it's own draw test and should have dash lights on, but on my car I have the "normal" passenger side wiper twitch as well as multiple lights on interior buttons flashing and electronic noise under the dash after I turn the car off completely. I never have a warning for battery during these instances or any codes come up. And Im sure this is draining it down over time, especially if I only do some short drives where alternator doesnt have time to recover full SOC for battery... :dunno:
Look at "passenger windshield wiper twitches " post for possible solution for quicker shutdown

CC²

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR Premium
Look at "passenger windshield wiper twitches " post for possible solution for quicker shutdown
Thanks. Been following those threads for awhile now. Tried a few of the peoples song and dance moves for how they say it stops the twitch. Mine still does it. Just one of those things...

CC²

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR Premium
80mA is the spec for your bmw. If all of those twitches and flashes are under that 80mA maximum there will be no codes for it.
Thanks for the info. Haha you sound so over these cars in your replies “...is the spec for your bmw”. Makes me laugh. So glad I left the dealership a few years back. Good to have you here though, I wish my TIS/UOT accounts were still active.

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have this issue too so I often leave the door open then access the truck. Maybe a carbon fiber can help here haha. It seems like it might just be battery
I agree. I had talked to a Toyota corporate engineer when they came inspect the car for some issues including the trunk. The Corp guy was saying that the catch is made of hard plastic instead of metal. When you have the car at certain angles, it will not open. I was able to replicate it. There is nothing they can do. Just stupid engineering design.
Sponsored