Cat Back options UK (or back box mod?)

OLI_A90

First Name
Oli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Golf R, GR Supra (on order)
Hi, I’ve had my A90 just over 6 months but whilst I love it, it definitely time to try and get a little more noise, but nothing too crazy. My car is a 22MY and it seems a lot quieter than the early dealer demo I drove.
Has anyone got any experience with any of the cat/OPF back options in the UK? Also has anyone had any issues warranty after fitting aftermarket cat back?
I was looking at things like Milltek, HKS, Akrapovic (maybe too expensive for what you get?) or simply trying the many back box mods.
sorry this has probably been discussed before but I can’t find much info from UK models with different systems.
Sponsored

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
Will be watching this thread as a potential owner. Test driven a 2020 and 2021 and both very far too quiet, coming from a boisterous F-Type.

Have you looked into the "UK Exhaust Mod?". Think that would be my first stop.

PCW seem to be one of the popular companies (I know from my BMW days).

Last edited:

nc_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Pro
Can vouch for the backbox mod, it's a good halfway house in cost and effort between stock and an OPF-back system.

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
Did they completely remove the packing\sliencing material from inside? PLus the pipe modification.

OP
OP

OLI_A90

First Name
Oli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Does seem like the back box mod is the way to go then. The other options from What I can tell are expensive for the small gains.

Do you get any droning on the motorway with the back box mod or all normal with the flap closed?

Chappers

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR 3.0L Tungsten Silver
I've had the back box mod done at PCW he removed the wadding and removes the perforated pipe to make it sound louder, i've also removed the fuse for the flap to keep it permanently open, it sound great in normal mode and does some small pops, sound better in sport with more pops definitely worth the money, its not insanely loud but noticeably louder than my neighbours 2015 M135i with no mods.

coupled with the MST intake for turbo noises sounds great!

Chappers

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR 3.0L Tungsten Silver
Does seem like the back box mod is the way to go then. The other options from What I can tell are expensive for the small gains.

Do you get any droning on the motorway with the back box mod or all normal with the flap closed?
no drone whatso ever

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
hi, OP. i don't know UK regulations so i'm unsure if an aftermarket downpipe qualifies as an option, but if you're looking for more noise, i'd recommend a catted downpipe: throaty in sports mode, quiet commuter in normal mode

stormgreysupra

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oemplusmods.com
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra A90 Edition
Keeping the factory exhaust and doing a back box mod makes a significant difference on European models while being budget friendly.

You can also add our slip-on replacement exhaust tips from www.supramod.com for a nicer look.

7BF8BF45-7D23-436D-8C35-F68C6D97FD16.jpeg

070E2F91-B703-4D23-AD19-59396A440756.jpeg

OP
OP

OLI_A90

First Name
Oli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Anyone know wait times at PCW?

Also thinking to do myself (with help) if there is info online for similar back box mods?

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
Can also vouch for PCW, no drone, great bump in noise without being obnoxious

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 G42 M240i
+1 for PCW,

Had my supra done at the time. Made a great difference and very OEM+ kind of sound.
One other thing that might make a difference is the OPF bypass from Miltek that fits to the OEM system.
Although a remap is needed to map the code out, or I think they do a plug in dongle to bypass the code.

Planning to do the OPF bypass on my 240i

yellowsup

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MX5 (NC Turbo), 2017 C43, 2020 mkv Supra
Hi Everyone, to share my set-up & experience, I have a Milltek sports cat, OPF delete and stage 2 ECUtek tune and I think that's a good place to start if you want a 'bit more' noise. The tune provides burble control and in sports mode has some really nice burbles, in normal mode it's not that different to stock. So, you can cruse along the motorway in comfort when you need to. No drone as I've kept the std back box (for now). Obvs the tune also provides a little HP and hopefully the cat will pass the MOT later this year. This set-up isn't any good if you want 'loud', but is another route to consider?
Sponsored