Back box delete...

Fitch

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKIV
Looking for somewhere in the Midlands who can do a back box delete on my 2019? Fancied a new exhaust but I quite like the standard tips and visually stock, and have no desire to do a OPF delete as concerned about MOT which looms soon. Thinking backbox delete is the safest way forward that will give me the noise I'm after.

Any tips and what's exactly involved too? Would ideally like to take it to a location that's done one on a MkV.
Sponsored

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
This is a pretty simple process just have to see if the place will do it properly and keep your exhaust valve (doable) or just cut and straight pipe, then you loose valves and throw a soft code if its not plugged in. but it is not a huge increase in sound, def worth doing, but if you want louder, get a catted downpipe down the road that will be MOT legal and you will be fine

OP
OP
Fitch

Fitch

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKIV

Thank you! Exactly what I need to know for tomorrow

OP
OP
Fitch

Fitch

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKIV
Ok all done!

Anyone in the midlands be sure to go here:

https://www.dktuningsouthmidlands.co.uk

DK Tuning South Midlands

Did a great job - took direction from the previous threads and video above.

All in all took over an hour - and cost shy of £99.

I've told them they may be a flurry of MKV owners popping over.

20220811_104547.jpg

Opened up - removed wadding on right side - clamped over holed portion of exhaust. Then rewelded.

Sounds a lot better with more deeper tone and burbles etc are more pronounced.

Valves unaffected, and can be put to stock again if needed by removing clamped housing and rewadded then rewelded. Definitely worth the mod.

Last edited:

Muzzie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JARAMA RACETRACK EDITION Arrives July
Have you got a video or sound clip, or does your sound pretty much like the one in the video above?

Malcolm Feth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
I know it's a bit older topic, but I just did this modification and I love it. A bit lauder, but not ridicilous. Just perfect. That's how the supra should come out of the factory :) Before and after with the open valve.

OP
OP
Fitch

Fitch

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKIV
Agreed - cheap mod and keeps the stock set up intact. Well recommended.

S2k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
Right, so via the UK Supra facebook group, I have found someone to do this based around me (Epsom) so will be getting it done at some point soon! 🙂

One related thing is that there are a couple people over there saying that their valve basically stays open all the time. (These are unmodified cars)

I need to have a look at what exactly my valve does when I start it up. All I am thinking is that I don’t want to end up with permanent back box delete mode engaged when I want a quiet cruise along the motorway.

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
I have the back box mod done and my valve is fully open (plug disconnected) and it's absolutely fine on the motorway, don't hear it unless it's a particularly steep hill, but very unobtrusive.

It's a little like a M Performance exhaust now, but personally I still want something louder. Think a silencer delete would be ok on our European cars since we still have the OPF in place.

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
I have the back box mod done and my valve is fully open (plug disconnected) and it's absolutely fine on the motorway, don't hear it unless it's a particularly steep hill, but very unobtrusive.

It's a little like a M Performance exhaust now, but personally I still want something louder. Think a silencer delete would be ok on our European cars since we still have the OPF in place.
The damn OPF kills the sound. Can't you remove in the UK?
Removing it made the sound sooo much better.

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
Technically you can, I believe there's a harness available to prevent any warning codes. Guess it would impact warranty and potentially emissions for annual check.

Did you only delete the OPF? Standard downpipe?

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Right, so via the UK Supra facebook group, I have found someone to do this based around me (Epsom) so will be getting it done at some point soon! 🙂

One related thing is that there are a couple people over there saying that their valve basically stays open all the time. (These are unmodified cars)

I need to have a look at what exactly my valve does when I start it up. All I am thinking is that I don’t want to end up with permanent back box delete mode engaged when I want a quiet cruise along the motorway.
It's really annoying mate, the valves are closed when you start up (I filmed mine a few times, '23 MT). If you sit and listen to the cold start after maybe 20-30 seconds, just as the idle drops to normal around 750rpm, you can actually hear the valves opening up quite clearly, and then smoke comes out.
I can only imagine how beautifully loud it would sound with valves open on cold start. Unfortunately pressing the Sport button with the ignition on doesn't work as a "hack" as I hoped...
Sponsored