Catted DP

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra launch edition, 1993 rx7
Modern cars with modern ECUs are a lot more smarter with things like high flow cats and intakes and will make adjustments within a given allowed ranged for more performance. The main thing to take away from this is any performance gain without a tune will not be that noticeable but the noise from the intake or downpipe is enough to persuade more than a few to make the leap.
Right, Iā€™m sure the ECU is smart enough to make small adjustments, but Iā€™m not sure why anyone would want to take this risk?

A stage 1 tune on a completely stock car produces better numbers than a car with a downpipe and no tune. But both cars will be void of warranty in an engine related fail. The smart ECU records high values, and when it adjusts for the downpipe with no tune, the values show higher. An investigation will show both modifications on the logs and both will void your warranty, but one is significantly safer than the other..... so why risk it?

TLDR: Both downpipe and tune change the numbers in the logs and give dealerships a reason to void warranty in the exact same way, so why go with just a downpipe and get little gains with the chance of detonation instead of getting a tune with better, safer fueling that makes more power?
Sponsored

Last edited:

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Right, Iā€™m sure the ECU is smart enough to make small adjustments, but Iā€™m not sure why anyone would want to take this risk?

A stage 1 tune on a completely stock car produces better numbers than a car with a downpipe and no tune. But both cars will be void of warranty in an engine related fail. The smart ECU records high values, and when it adjusts for the downpipe with no tune, the values show higher. An investigation will show both modifications on the logs and both will void your warranty, but one is significantly safer than the other..... so why risk it?

TLDR: Both downpipe and tune change the numbers in the logs and give dealerships a reason to void warranty in the exact same way, so why go with just a downpipe and get little gains with the chance of detonation instead of getting a tune with better, safer fueling that makes more power?
I'm not saying that it won't void your warranty. In fact, anything that you do to the car that isn't supported by Toyota would void certain parts of the warranty. If you want to mod, you roll the dice on the chance of voiding that warranty. Plain and simple.

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm not saying that it won't void your warranty. In fact, anything that you do to the car that isn't supported by Toyota would void certain parts of the warranty. If you want to mod, you roll the dice on the chance of voiding that warranty. Plain and simple.
And that was my point. People are going with catted downpipe and no tune because they are being led to believe they will get no engine light and have no warranty issues.

Iā€™m just trying to make it clear for those who donā€™t understand and are being misled that both of these mods (tune and downpipe) will 100% change the logs enough to void the warranty and they both cost around $600. The real difference is that the tune is a safer alternative and makes a lot more power.

OP
OP

nickkim1499

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
LE Supra
And that was my point. People are going with catted downpipe and no tune because they are being led to believe they will get no engine light and have no warranty issues.

Iā€™m just trying to make it clear for those who donā€™t understand and are being misled that both of these mods (tune and downpipe) will 100% change the logs enough to void the warranty and they both cost around $600. The real difference is that the tune is a safer alternative and makes a lot more power.
Yeah what you're saying has opened my perspective up a lot. This is my first car that I have even thought about modding so I still have a lot of questions about pretty much everything that I'm doing relating to the car. This does persuade me to go with a tune because it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the suggestions and rationale!

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra

TLDR: Both downpipe and tune change numbers in the logs permanently and give dealerships a reason to void warranty in the exact same way, so why go with just a downpipe and get little gains with the chance of detonation instead of getting a tune with better, safer fueling that makes more power?
Admittedly, I don't know much about tuning, but my only aversion to it (which may not be logical) is the scare of messing up my car or bricking the ECU. I don't really care about warranty but I don't wanna be stuck somewhere because of some glitch due to aftermarket 3r party software that I don't know how to fix. I'm more mechanically inclined but that computer stuff is another language. Perhaps if that did happen hopefully its easy to flash back to stock or just replace the ECU and pretend nothing happened. If someone could tell me what I'm missing here that would be much appreciated haha

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Admittedly, I don't know much about tuning, but my only aversion to it (which may not be logical) is the scare of messing up my car or bricking the ECU. I don't really care about warranty but I don't wanna be stuck somewhere because of some glitch due to aftermarket 3r party software that I don't know how to fix. I'm more mechanically inclined but that computer stuff is another language. Perhaps if that did happen hopefully its easy to flash back to stock or just replace the ECU and pretend nothing happened. If someone could tell me what I'm missing here that would be much appreciated haha
I have read that the guys with MHD and BM3 had some bugs with their tuned cars, so I decided to go Ecutek and not look back. It costs a little more but it allows the tuners to get to more tables and fix the bugs people have experienced with mhd and BM3. Maybe someone else on here can chime in on if those tables have been opened up on BM3/MHD yet.

Even if you use BM3/mhd, You can use one of the good tuners on this forum for a custom tune and you shouldnā€™t have any issues. I think the bugs are coming from off the shelf maps. The car certainly wonā€™t brick randomly, once itā€™s flashed its good to go. Bricking is something that usually happens if the car is flashed with a low battery and it dies, so just hook up a charger while you flash to be safe.

Most of the tuners here will give you a step by step process and make sure that you know what to do! Pm me if you have any specific questions and Iā€™ll do my best to help.

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah what you're saying has opened my perspective up a lot. This is my first car that I have even thought about modding so I still have a lot of questions about pretty much everything that I'm doing relating to the car. This does persuade me to go with a tune because it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the suggestions and rationale!
Glad I could help! If you have any questions shoot me a PM!

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I have read that the guys with MHD and BM3 had some bugs with their tuned cars, so I decided to go Ecutek and not look back. It costs a little more but it allows the tuners to get to more tables and fix the bugs people have experienced with mhd and BM3. Maybe someone else on here can chime in on if those tables have been opened up on BM3/MHD yet.

Even if you use BM3/mhd, You can use one of the good tuners on this forum for a custom tune and you shouldnā€™t have any issues. I think the bugs are coming from off the shelf maps. The car certainly wonā€™t brick randomly, once itā€™s flashed its good to go. Bricking is something that usually happens if the car is flashed with a low battery and it dies, so just hook up a charger while you flash to be safe.

Most of the tuners here will give you a step by step process and make sure that you know what to do! Pm me if you have any specific questions and Iā€™ll do my best to help.
Thanks so much for the clarification! I've heard good things about ecutek so I believe I'll be going that route, maybe get a custom tune from Justin at Twisted or something. That and a downpipes should be at least 450 at the wheels :drive:

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks so much for the clarification! I've heard good things about ecutek so I believe I'll be going that route, maybe get a custom tune from Justin at Twisted or something. That and a downpipes should be at least 450 at the wheels :drive:
With Ecutek alone and no downpipe Iā€™m making right under 400whp! Iā€™ll be getting my downpipe installed this weekend, canā€™t wait!!!!

Keep in mind that Ecutek does not come with any OTS maps, you will have to buy the hardware, license, and custom tune separately (but from the same tuner). Youā€™ll need a laptop to flash with Ecutek, but you can log and send logs from your phone.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
That's awesome! There no need for me to visit a dyno for this right? If I can feel the power I don't need to see the numbers sheet I've watched the youtube videos lol. I have a Mac so hopefully that's Ecutek compatible

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's awesome! There no need for me to visit a dyno for this right? If I can feel the power I don't need to see the numbers sheet I've watched the youtube videos lol. I have a Mac so hopefully that's Ecutek compatible
No sir you donā€™t need to be on a dyno, the tuners on here can handle it all remotely and you make pulls somewhere safe. You can log on your phone and then share directly to your tuner. Very easy. Iā€™m not sure regarding Mac support.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
No sir you donā€™t need to be on a dyno, the tuners on here can handle it all remotely and you make pulls somewhere safe. You can log on your phone and then share directly to your tuner. Very easy. Iā€™m not sure regarding Mac support.
Sounds good I feel a lot better about it now. I remember watching a youtube video of guy (kies motorsport I think) who had a Mac and used an adaptor for the ethernet cable and basically did a flash tune on his 2020 with BM3 in like 3 minutes so I should be good to go!

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sounds good I feel a lot better about it now. I remember watching a youtube video of guy (kies motorsport I think) who had a Mac and used an adaptor for the ethernet cable and basically did a flash tune on his 2020 with BM3 in like 3 minutes so I should be good to go!
Just checked for you, Ecuteks website Says you would have to run boot camp with Windows unfortunately. On the bright side, I have a cheap laptop and it works fine.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Just checked for you, Ecuteks website Says you would have to run boot camp with Windows unfortunately. On the bright side, I have a cheap laptop and it works fine.
Not the end of the world. It would be worth investing in a $300 Walmart laptop to avoid OTS maps and their associated bugs. So once I have the downpipe installed, it seems like the shopping list goes: Ecutek hardware, custom tune, flash license and laptop. Still not a bad deal to get that much power so quickly and easily!
Sponsored