Ceramic coating PPF

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
My car is getting full body STEK dynoshield PPF this week. The film has hydrophobic ceramic and self healing properties but I will be applying Adams Graphene ceramic advanced on it when it’s done to boost the ceramic performance of the film.

Does anybody have any tips for applying to PPF? I’ve only ever applied ceramics to paint, not PPF. Since the car will be freshly wrapped, I’m not planning on doing any mechanical or chemical decontamination—no iron removers or clay bar. Just a light isopropyl surface prep with Adam’s surface prep.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Just my opinion: if the new ppf is already ceramic infused (my Suntek has it too) why not let that "run out" first, and then refresh it by adding yours?
Mine works a dream, it really does work, and I top it up with meguiars hybrid ceramic wax.
Seems like a waste of money/product to wipe it all off with alcohol, you normally pay extra for ceramic ppf?

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
I had Bodyfence by HEXIS installed on the full front of mine. I was told it has temporary ceramic properties but I cleaned it off with alcohol as I was doing a full ceramic myself with the Adams Graphene. I wanted to be consistent.

No real tips. I applied as I did with the paint

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just my opinion: if the new ppf is already ceramic infused (my Suntek has it too) why not let that "run out" first, and then refresh it by adding yours?
Mine works a dream, it really does work, and I top it up with meguiars hybrid ceramic wax.
Seems like a waste of money/product to wipe it all off with alcohol, you normally pay extra for ceramic ppf?
I totally hear what you’re saying and thought about that too!

This is the second stage of PPF, I had the full front end done right away and had to make a second appointment to get the rest of the car done. When I washed my car after the front end install, there was a noticeable difference in water beading between the front that had the dynoshield on it vs the rest of the car but the hydrophobic properties of the ceramic infused film still weren’t what I’m used to seeing on paint coated with ceramics—Which led me to wanting to add a ceramic coating on top of the film. My understanding is that the Adams surface prep is an isopropyl blend and shouldn’t remove any properties from the film. It’s just a step of cleaning the surface of fine dusts or what have you. I’m hoping that the graphene ceramic on top of the PPF will just be a longevity factor. Adams claims 7 years but I know real world expectations are realistically half of that.

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
I totally hear what you’re saying and thought about that too!

This is the second stage of PPF, I had the full front end done right away and had to make a second appointment to get the rest of the car done. When I washed my car after the front end install, there was a noticeable difference in water beading between the front that had the dynoshield on it vs the rest of the car but the hydrophobic properties of the ceramic infused film still weren’t what I’m used to seeing on paint coated with ceramics—Which led me to wanting to add a ceramic coating on top of the film. My understanding is that the Adams surface prep is an isopropyl blend and shouldn’t remove any properties from the film. It’s just a step of cleaning the surface of fine dusts or what have you. I’m hoping that the graphene ceramic on top of the PPF will just be a longevity factor. Adams claims 7 years but I know real world expectations are realistically half of that.
That's awesome sounds good in that case! Let us know how it goes, it should be super water sheeting/beading at the end ! 🤘

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I had Bodyfence by HEXIS installed on the full front of mine. I was told it has temporary ceramic properties but I cleaned it off with alcohol as I was doing a full ceramic myself with the Adams Graphene. I wanted to be consistent.

No real tips. I applied as I did with the paint
That’s what I figured and was planning on-just applying it like I do to paint. Just wasn’t sure if there were any special steps or things I needed to do differently with a film.

How was your experience with the Adams graphene on your film? Are you liking the results you’re getting?

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's awesome sounds good in that case! Let us know how it goes, it should be super water sheeting/beading at the end ! 🤘
Will do! I’ll definitely report back! Thanks for the comments!

Traxion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I've used Adams graphene ceramic on my PPF and it's important to not let it sit too long and to wipe and buff as you go in small patches otherwise it's going to set and leave wipe looking marks. My main culprit areas are the hood and rear windshield since they are larger surface areas. I should have done half or a quarter of it at a time.

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've used Adams graphene ceramic on my PPF and it's important to not let it sit too long and to wipe and buff as you go in small patches otherwise it's going to set and leave wipe looking marks. My main culprit areas are the hood and rear windshield since they are larger surface areas. I should have done half or a quarter of it at a time.
Thank you for reaffirming this as that is what my PPF installer suggested, especially on large areas like the hood.What PPF do you have and how are you liking your results with the graphene on it?

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
That’s what I figured and was planning on-just applying it like I do to paint. Just wasn’t sure if there were any special steps or things I needed to do differently with a film.

How was your experience with the Adams graphene on your film? Are you liking the results you’re getting?
Application wise, just like paint. Apply and wipe off when it flashes which doesn't take long at all if you're in the recommended temps and humidity. Like mentioned above, do the large panels in sections. I got greedy and tried to do the whole hood and had to spot fix areas that had excess. Just apply a wet coat if the leveling rag or microfiber towel they supply you doesn't get rid of it and wipe it off while wet. This method fixed all the high spots I missed.

I've yet to actually wash my car since I coated ~2 weeks ago so I can't comment on its performance but I'm the type to top the coat after every wash either way.

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Application wise, just like paint. Apply and wipe off when it flashes which doesn't take long at all if you're in the recommended temps and humidity. Like mentioned above, do the large panels in sections. I got greedy and tried to do the whole hood and had to spot fix areas that had excess. Just apply a wet coat if the leveling rag or microfiber towel they supply you doesn't get rid of it and wipe it off while wet. This method fixed all the high spots I missed.

I've yet to actually wash my car since I coated ~2 weeks ago so I can't comment on its performance but I'm the type to top the coat after every wash either way.
I appreciate the advice! 👊🏽

Traxion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thank you for reaffirming this as that is what my PPF installer suggested, especially on large areas like the hood.What PPF do you have and how are you liking your results with the graphene on it?
I've got Kavaca. Overall happy with it, seems to be better than the Suma Performance ceramic that I bought. I'd say it's worth it for $40 and the ease of application. I applied the Adam's Graphene around early Feb and here's a pic I just took a few mins ago. It rained heavy today for an hour or two and stopped raining by the time I left work so the natural airflow going over the car pretty much cleared all the water off the front and didn't leave any spots from it drying up. The sides of the car aren't quite as nice and clean but still helps. Car was last washed on the 11th.

20230619_194740.jpg

20230619_194732.jpg

Traxion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Also if I do get home with it wet and I'm not lazy then it makes for a really easy leaf blower session to dry it off and a quick wipe down.

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Have any of guys noticed a decrease in the self healing properties of your films after applying a coating on top? or does it still seam to self heal well with heat even with the added coating layer on top of the film? Has the ceramic coating helped reduce minor scratches in the film at all?
@Traxion @Supra_UK_ @626NitroYellow
Sponsored

Last edited: