Lemmy

First Name
Emran
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
Hey folks ,

started my car after it sat for a day , and got a check engine light. My coolant temp readings were also off the charts , it was saying it was max temp (all the lights were lit). That didn’t make sense as I had just turned the car on. I restarted the car and the reading Went back to normal (1 bar), but the check engine light persisted. The coolant seemed lower when I checked it, so I added more, and drove home. When I got home I scanned for codes, and I got

P0118
Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High

I looked online and it seemed to be related to some sensor ? Is it possible the ETC sensor is bad ? Also is it safe to drive ?Thanks all

88A50887-6035-48DE-9904-82DD6FD48F86.png
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Any change in your coolant level after running hot again? Such as a leak?

I‘d use a BMW independent mechanic that has access to Techstream Toyota OEM software to reset your computer if anything else things “pops” up after this is fixed. This car, like most nowadays, has a sensor for everything. I had a code, which set off another code, which started another code…. In my short experience with this modern BMW, the big dealers in my area have very little experience troubleshooting things.

Last edited:

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
In my short experience with this modern BMW, the big dealers in my area have very little experience troubleshooting things.
I think this is the norm. I’m choosing to pass up my free oil changes to use a BMW master tech connection. I called the Toyota dealer nearest to me and they can’t even read the key fobs, so I need to read them at the BMW dealership. The Toyota dealership can’t change the oil without scheduling it in as they don’t even stock supplies for a simple oil change. You’d think by the 4th model year they could have improved the Supra service experience by now…

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I think this is the norm. I’m choosing to pass up my free oil changes to use a BMW master tech connection. I called the Toyota dealer nearest to me and they can’t even read the key fobs, so I need to read them at the BMW dealership. The Toyota dealership can’t change the oil without scheduling it in as they don’t even stock supplies for a simple oil change. You’d think by the 4th model year they could have improved the Supra service experience by now…
You are so spot on. It feels more like a training session and “oh shit” moment whenever they get my car. I’m definitely done with them! At least @Lemmy is in a big metro area. Bound to be lots of good BMW mechanics there.
Sponsored