DIY’d a manifold heat shield & intake snorkel.

OP
OP

racebuild

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
fyi, you can square off a 3" hose and it actually goes inside the intake ducting
if you need more pressure, you can block off the brake ducts. they do nothing for me on track.

all M cars are running this setup, with intake being fed from in front of the cooling stack. it's part of m340i's "hot climate package" as well.
Correct.

I didn’t want to fully seal the inlet trumpet with a 3” diameter hose, just wanted to direct some fresh air to the inlet. However we might try to cover the whole trumpet with a 4” hose.

I thought about pulling air from the side of the radiator cowl but didn’t want to take away too much pressure from top of the cowl.

Pulling air from the brake duct was step 2 for us if we needed additional fresh air to the intake inlet.
Sponsored

garudathree

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991gt3rs
i think the only downside with not sealing it, is that you're pressurizing the entire front bumper cavity, adding lift.

Bug2th

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF, 1998 GSX
so I was doing a little research and found a thread from a Miata site talking about turbochargers and cooling and basically it was saying the air intake temp really doesn’t matter since the turbo is going to heat up the air a lot more (relative to the ait) before going into the intercooler and the intercooler is what really makes the difference. I’m starting to remember more about that from my days when I had my ‘90 turbo mr2. Just wondering what all y’all’s take on this?

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
so I was doing a little research and found a thread from a Miata site talking about turbochargers and cooling and basically it was saying the air intake temp really doesn’t matter since the turbo is going to heat up the air a lot more (relative to the ait) before going into the intercooler and the intercooler is what really makes the difference. I’m starting to remember more about that from my days when I had my ‘90 turbo mr2. Just wondering what all y’all’s take on this?
Wouldn’t that turn the concept of heat soak into a fantasy?

Bug2th

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF, 1998 GSX
Wouldn’t that turn the concept of heat soak into a fantasy?
I guess that’s what I was getting at. But here’s an article that sort of agrees but still references getting a better fmic to combat heat soak.

https://tuningpro.co/what-is-heat-soak-engine-turbo-heat-soak/

but I wasn’t trying to start an argument since I started wrapping my stock ai and with insulation and reflective materials and just started thinking about how much is this really improving the intake process.

also thinking about the manifold cover to keep heat from the ai. Heat basically wants to go to the side that has the largest delta T. Before it was the engine compartment but with the insulation a lot more of the heat could potentially go back into the engine causing water and oil temps to go up so getting a bigger radiator and oil cooler would be needed to offset that.
Sponsored