DIY - Hooking up AIM Devices (MXM)

theox

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nitro Yellow A90 Supra
Hey guys, just got my Supra last week and its awesome! I'm going to be gradually transitioning it to a dedicated race car, which will require data collection. My data logger and display of choice is the AIM MXm. See below for how to connect to the ECU/CAN bus.

wiringHarness.jpg

Above you can see the Fuse tap in F47, which is an empty slot that comes on with door open and is depowered 6 minutes after shutdown. I am still debating whether or not to put a switch inline for greater control. You can see my ground wire up top under the plastic trim.

taps.jpg

Find the ECU/CAN bus wires near the BCM, will be a yellow/white (CAN high) and yellow/black (CAN low). I used PosiTaps to connect these to my custom harness.

aimData.jpg

Now we have power and data flowing to the MXm! Now I just need to figure out how to mount it........

dataonPC.jpg

Full data display on my PC, all the available data values are represented here. Unfortunately, there are a couple of values available through the OBDII port that are not available through the ECU. IAT being one. Will have to sort that out, maybe with an expansion port.

Anyway, hope this helps in setting up your AIM devices and finding the correct wires to tap.
Sponsored

OP
OP

theox

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
UPDATE!
Ok, if you remove the console piece that contains the wireless charger/USB/12v, there is tunnel access to the rear where you can feed your wires. Worked great after some finagling to get it through. I removed the wireless charger and drilled a hole where the charger used to be.

20220909_192604.jpg

Its pretty solid as it, but will fab up some kind of mount in the future. Just happy I was able to make it look neat and tidy.

smr.111

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Did you ever find a way to tap into the ecu for the additional available data ie IAT?

Delta1Seven

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0
Will this work if running a JB4? To my understanding, no, but can anyone confirm?

OP
OP

theox

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Did you ever find a way to tap into the ecu for the additional available data ie IAT?
I did not, but things have been on hold for a bit since I moved across country. Will get back on this soon. I did confirm that the AIM MxM cannot take two data streams at once, unfortunately.

Delta1Seven

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0
Yes it will work. This taps into CAN, JB4 is obd2
That would make sense!

I really just want a "gauge pod" that I can use while I am using a JB4. On our cars, can CAN provide data like boost, air temp, oil temps etc?

I just looked and this MXm device is quite price for my use case, I really just need to find one to display gauges, I don't need any type of logging functionality. But I will look at CAN capable gauges!

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
That would make sense!

I really just want a "gauge pod" that I can use while I am using a JB4. On our cars, can CAN provide data like boost, air temp, oil temps etc?

I just looked and this MXm device is quite price for my use case, I really just need to find one to display gauges, I don't need any type of logging functionality. But I will look at CAN capable gauges!
Why not use the JB4 app on your phone for that?

Delta1Seven

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0
Why not use the JB4 app on your phone for that?
Iā€™m wanting a more permanent solution. I donā€™t really like the idea of having to connect via Bluetooth every time I want to see readings. Also a gauge pod looks cool in my opinion hahah

smr.111

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I did not, but things have been on hold for a bit since I moved across country. Will get back on this soon. I did confirm that the AIM MxM cannot take two data streams at once, unfortunately.
I spoke with Jaden at aimsports, he said IAT should be available from the CAN. Heā€™s going to check their ecu programming for the Supra and try to get it added. So keep an eye out for any updates. Your current configuration should pull it if they get the programming sorted.
Sponsored