Driving without turbo flange gasket

genoxy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I had my BoostLogic catless downpipe removed today to put the stock catted downpipe back on but the exhaust shop "forgot" to transfer the turbo flange gasket back so I currently don't have one installed. The V Band is on there nice and tight.

Just wondering if I can still drive like this and if it will cause any issues over the next few days until the turbo flange gasket can be replaced?

Didn't notice any issues on the drive home.

PXL_20201214_053508467.jpg
Sponsored

2Cool

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium 3.0
Yes it will. You have outside air being drawn into your exhaust in front of the O2 sensor, which means it is getting false information on fuel mixture. The ECU will think the car is running leaner than it is, and overcorrect with fueling. At the very least you will run too rich, at worst you will get enough fuel as you start to wash down the cylinder walls and cause accelerated wear, fouling of plugs, etc.

Fix it asap. Do not continue driving.

OP
OP
genoxy

genoxy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Took some pictures and did some reading also, just wondering why we need a turbo flange gasket when it's secured with a v band clamp which negates the need for a gasket?

I'm still going to put it back in, ordered a new one from Speed Industry for when the Wagner Catted Downpipe goes on as you can't reuse a crush type gasket many times

https://www.deedsengineering.com/v-band/

Ours look a little smaller than the ones in that article
images.jpeg

My v band secured tightly
Screenshot_20201215-145610.png

Another shot of my v band
Screenshot_20201215-145458.png

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I'm not an expert, but I believe flanges are there to "fill" the small gaps/imperfections between parts. V-clamp forces them together, but can't close up minor gaps...

OP
OP
genoxy

genoxy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I'm not an expert, but I believe flanges are there to "fill" the small gaps/imperfections between parts. V-clamp forces them together, but can't close up minor gaps...
Sounds about right, had to drive a little today and maybe tomorrow but it's going to be fixed on Thursday. Bit annoyed they left it out but can understand it's an easy thing to forget.

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
Oh shit forgot to put mine on and been driving like that for a while

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
This is correct. Here's a tip when tightening V band exhaust or pneumatic ducting clamps. I spray some WD40 on the inside of the clamp faces to help the interface between the clamp flanges and the pipe flanges slide and not grab as you tighten them up. It means the clamp will tighten up smoothly and apply more force to the sealing faces and seal more effectively instead of wasting bolt torque on the clamp faces grabbing the pipe flange faces during tightening. After you have tightened the clamp bolt go around the clamp circumference and tap lightly with a hammer, copper hammer preferably to help the V band clamp settle and then try tightening the clamp nut again. It will generally tighten another turn or so. Repeat until the nut doesn't keep needing additional tightening. The WD40 application usually all but eliminates this final process. The only down side is that for the first few minutes after the first start up the WD40 will smoke lightly as the residue burns off. You can also use a very light smear of grease instead of the WD40 but the burnoff and residue will be worse.

Phil
Sponsored