E46 for MT kicks

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
Hello everyone,

I recently wanted to pick up a project car so my partner could learn to drive MT. I’m a long-time MT advocate (I even had an FJ Cruiser with a 6MT, which was very cool). It was hard convincing myself to get the Supra with the ZF8 (no regrets - I still love it!).

Anyway, I was fairly open on project car ideas, but love inline 6s and have always been a fan of the E46. It’s also been a while since I rocked AWD. Before the Supra I ran some Subies and then an 86.

I picked up a well loved 330xi with a 5 speed. The car has been very well maintained (with docs) and has a few nice upgrades.
The previous owner put Koni yellows and Eibachs on it. He also had poly bushes installed when the front control arms were replaced.

It’s such a small car compared to most new vehicles. You park next to a new Corolla or Civic and they look huge. Visibility is excellent. Sweet, sweet hydraulic steering rack.

First mod - OEM ZHP shift knob. Stock knob was wood, and while kind cool, I felt like I should be driving with a pipe and cashmere sweater.
IMG_2699.jpeg

Fun fact: the blurry button above reverse in the pic above is hill descent control. WTF kind of sports sedan has HDC. So funny. So awesome.

It’s a mindf@*k to drive this for a week and then switch back to the Supra. The Supra feels like a supercar in comparison. But the 46 is a lot of fun to drive, and at 130k the M54 3.0l engine is super smooth and sounds great. Reving out that glorious motor with long gearing is epic. And the speeds you obtain are a lot less likely to be jail-worthy. I’m trying hard to resist putting an axle-back exhaust on it.

Previous owner fitted these rad 2-piece type 42 BBS wheels to it. They’re originally from the Z3, staggered 7.5, 8.5x17.
IMG_2697.jpeg

Not sure if we’ll keep it past next spring, but will be a good custodian for her and hopefully hit autox at least once.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Diablo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Launch Edition / 2018 4Runner TRD
She’s got good bones! Enjoy and keep us posted on updates and mods! I say definitely get the exhaust!

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
My favourite generation of BMW 3 series by far. Definitely not the worst choice of car to learn stick shift on and a nice change of pace from the Supra.

OP
OP
type-964

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
It’s sort of like a normally aspirated WRX with more lux/refinement (and weight!).

The Harmon Kardon system is paired with a custom sub enclosure and is probably better than the Supra JBL (not that I’m saying much there….).

OP
OP
type-964

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
Thanks @Rocksandblues. I considered the ci (as well as more $$$ options up to 1st gen Cayman). But given the fact it’s hard to pass up the Supra for motorsport. the xi was a bargain.

You’re right, it seems most problem areas have been addressed. Especially the death airbags.

i have considered throwing some cheap Turner Motorsports -2.5 static camber plates on it. Any feedback/thoughts on that?

Last edited:
OP
OP
type-964

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
Part of what led me here was many years ago while my 86 was having PPF and tint installed, I was given an e46 328 w MT. I was blown away by how much fun I had driving that car, and it’s always stuck with me.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra