Toyota Files Patent Application For A Clutch Operated Manual Trans For EVs

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s also done just to prevent another company from patenting it themselves.
Or they sell the patent. What zerk said
Sponsored

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
Or somebody is trying to win a bet lol.

My employer pays $1000 bonus for each patent granted. Shenanigans sometimes ensue.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
I've seen this all over the internet today. People really make way more of a deal than they should out of patents. If you've worked with patents you know this. Large corporations patent things all the time that have no intention of ever going to market with, it just reserves them the IP as an asset.
Was thinking the same - interesting experiment useful maybe, later.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
I love driving a manual and am very much for EVs as a critical part of addressing climate. Now, the value of the contortions manufacturers are going through to make EVs more like gassers are of unclear benefit to me, but cultures sometimes shift quickly and maybe this will help the move to EVs. Or maybe in the future we’ll look back and laugh at it from our beachside homes in Colorado.
Make sure you tell this to China and India too.

China is still building coal plants - that would probably be used to power these Christlike EV's.

EV's have a long way to go infrastructure wise before everyone will have one, and they are not novelties......not to mention the damage that the mining does to the enviornment for the raw battery material.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sooooo what happens if you stall an EV car...?
Kids today will never know the fear of learning stick shift while being first in line at a left turn on green arrow only, on a steep hill in a stick shift car.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
With no active hill assist amirite??
haha someone already posted it, but for us it was the long handle in the middle that clicked when you pulled it.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
Toyota have been mucking about with this conceptual design for a while.

They showed a "Simulated manual" Auto transmission in the GR HV concept.

Every 'purist' automotive writer must be in heaven LOL! A manual EV lol. Thank god Toyota is doing this so they can now rest easy that their dream is alive. They wont have to beeotch that the car they are testing is good but would be 'great' with a manual........................in every fkn article they write.
Seems like most editors and commenters are actually railing this pretty hard. I think it's a novel concept. If well done it could actually be a heap of fun. Manuals these days are for fun, not a performance benefit. Of course, because it's Toyota they'll get shit for it.
Sponsored