Electronic Wastegate vs Dual External Wastegates

GnaRegards

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 Toyota Camry
So I’ve noticed that the Supra top mount turbo kits predominantly, if not exclusively, run dual external wastegate dumps. Why is this?

For example DOCRACE F chassis kit utilizes the electronic wastegate. But the the Supra kit switched to the dual external dump setup.

Wondering if this is better than recirculating and using electronic.
Sponsored

Sikh_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer electronic because the ECU can catch a problem and throw an error and put you in limp mode and save your motor, dual waste gate is full boost even if something isn’t running right.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I prefer electronic because the ECU can catch a problem and throw an error and put you in limp mode and save your motor, dual waste gate is full boost even if something isn’t running right.
Well, no it's not. If something goes wrong, gate operates at gate spring, so like 14-18psi, which should be pretty safe if you're in the position to but running a big turbo anyway. On top of that, all external gates are controlled electronically, so any decent tune will fall open, and revert to spring if there's pressure. On the B58 specifically, throttle will also close, effectively limping you.

But then again 'if something goes wrong' is a concern, big turbo probably isn't the thing for you. Something always goes wrong.

OP
OP

GnaRegards

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 Toyota Camry
Well, no it's not. If something goes wrong, gate operates at gate spring, so like 14-18psi, which should be pretty safe if you're in the position to but running a big turbo anyway. On top of that, all external gates are controlled electronically, so any decent tune will fall open, and revert to spring if there's pressure. On the B58 specifically, throttle will also close, effectively limping you.

But then again 'if something goes wrong' is a concern, big turbo probably isn't the thing for you. Something always goes wrong.
LMFAO at “Something always goes wrong”.
Appreciate your honesty.

And appreciate you both for your responses!

OP
OP

GnaRegards

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 Toyota Camry
I’m assuming Electoronic is a limiting factor or too much of a hassle to make work. Seeing as I still haven’t found any kit that utilizes the Electronic to compare to everyone else’s, ETS Kit w/ Dual Wastegates it is!

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’m assuming Electoronic is a limiting factor or too much of a hassle to make work. Seeing as I still haven’t found any kit that utilizes the Electronic to compare to everyone else’s, ETS Kit w/ Dual Wastegates it is!
Controlling the EWG for high power applications is a nightmare. The AMS utilized the factory EWG, but they didn't really develop it too far. For anything more than a Pure 800, you're best bet is to go external gate.

stormgreysupra

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oemplusmods.com
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra A90 Edition
I wish they made more electronic waste gate big turbo kits, because I don’t want to run an external setup.

I’ve heard complaints about tuning the doc race kits but then again some other people were able to run them without any issues.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I wish they made more electronic waste gate big turbo kits, because I don’t want to run an external setup.

I’ve heard complaints about tuning the doc race kits but then again some other people were able to run them without any issues.
It's because of the kit, not because of external gates.
Sponsored