Emissions testing starting in Georgia? Letter received for renewing registration on a 2019 Rav-4.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
So friends of mine have been receiving registration renewal letters in the mail, and these letters have stated that in order for their vehicles to have their registration renewed that they will have to pass an emissions test. The letter stated that starting this year, any vehicle from 2019 or older will have to have an emissions test every year in order to have the registration renewed. The letter went on to say that the year model of the vehicle going forward will increase one year every year going forward. So that means that in 2022, 2020's will have to pass emissions when time for registration renewal comes about. Has anyone from the Georgia area, perhaps near Atlanta received these letters?
Sponsored

Kgsweb

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Downshift Blue
Been living in the Atlanta area for the last 15 years. All newer vehicles have to pass an annual emissions test. I believe that vehicles 25 years and older are exempt (couple more years for my 2000 Tundra...). Also, i believe vehicles < 2 years old are exempt as well.

Its been like this for a long time.

KBG

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
My tag reg renewal is due next month. In the renewal it states, 1997-2018 has to have emissions test which is the norm - anything beyond 2years needs emissions. So for 2022 it's 1998-2019 MY vehicles. Nothing new here..

OP
OP
Sereph102889

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ahh ok gotcha, I didn't now Atlanta residents had to pass emissions testing. My friend was freaking out because his Supra is tuned and he sold his OEM downpipe lol. He also said that his letter didn't specify which parts of Georgia were subject so I was curious.

KBG

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Ahh ok gotcha, I didn't now Atlanta residents had to pass emissions testing. My friend was freaking out because his Supra is tuned and he sold his OEM downpipe lol. He also said that his letter didn't specify which parts of Georgia were subject so I was curious.
It's county specific - not all of GA. For instance, the county where my parents live does not have emissions.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Is that emissions test a OBD2 scan or on a roller? If OBD2, it's just making you pay more tax, essentially. Nothing to do with the environment. How can they allow older cars be exempt, right?

My state has that too; it's stupid and a waste of time. Not Georgia, but if one hibernates their cars don't buy a car in the winter as you'll expire your plates until Spring each time emissions is due.

Reactions: zrk

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Is that emissions test a OBD2 scan or on a roller? If OBD2, it's just making you pay more tax, essentially. Nothing to do with the environment. How can they allow older cars be exempt, right?

My state has that too; it's stupid and a waste of time. Not Georgia, but if one hibernates their cars don't buy a car in the winter as you'll expire your plates until Spring each time emissions is due.
It’s not perfect, but there is a reason to the approach and it does help keep vehicles in compliance, albeit not every vehicle. States have to take reasonable measures to meet the CAA requirements, but they don’t have to guarantee that every vehicle is in compliance.

DrDrilz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
This is nothing new for the metro Atlanta counties. Has been this way for at least 20 years

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
It’s not perfect, but there is a reason to the approach and it does help keep vehicles in compliance, albeit not every vehicle. States have to take reasonable measures to meet the CAA requirements, but they don’t have to guarantee that every vehicle is in compliance.
It is also true cookies are good for your mind.

OP
OP
Sereph102889

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is nothing new for the metro Atlanta counties. Has been this way for at least 20 years
Ok cool, I was mainly just checking because this is my friends first year living in Atlanta and this is something that he didn't research before moving. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored