EPS Belt jump

Bigb4iley

First Name
Bailey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra, 2019 Jaguar xe30t
I hit a good sized rock in the middle of the road around a blind corner, around the size of a soccer ball, and my car is lowered so I ran into some issues. I noticed at first a loud creak coming from the right strut mount area whenever I turn the wheel to the right when its under load. I took it to the shop for a Toyota diagnosis. They quoted me 5K and said the belt jumped on the electronic power steering system.. They said they wont repair it they will only replace it. I've never dealt with EPS on a car before as I usually prefer hydraulic steering. I saw somewhere that somebody had the issue and he was able to fix it with a scanner tool to read the pinion angle which I have. I believe the loud creaking noise is from the strut mount bearing breaking from the steering angle being off, so I have that part. Does anyone know more about adjusting the belt before I dive into things without any knowledge. Thank you.
Sponsored

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
There is literally no belt on the power steering. They are lying to you and trying to take you for a ride.

You probably damaged the tie rods or tie rod ends. Take some photos.

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 1.02.51 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 1.02.57 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 1.03.18 AM.png

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
i also believe there is no belt from the EPS motor to the rack ... i think its a worm gear but im not 100% ... either way its not a replaceable part ... and knowing Toyota and the work i have done with the Trust bush issue on these racks they replace them in their entirety rather than fix.

either way jumping a cog or a tooth on the belt has probably caused "some" damage and as steering is a pretty crucial technical part keeping you on the black stuff i would seriously think about replacing it.

but .. agree with #RAZORLAB check the Tie rods they are designed to deform/break well before damage to the EPS rack.

If tie rods are ok you could ask for an EPS re calibration but i always air on the side of caution with brakes and steering issues.

Last edited:

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
You should make an insurance claim on this.
Sponsored