EPS & Safety System Failure

toYoda

First Name
Chosen1
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 ToYoda Supra
l update Tuesday when they figure out what is causing these malfunctions. Never have touched or charged battery ever since they replaced defective one in May. If it was battery that would be simple quick fix but I feel like it's a software thing this car is tripping out.

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
@consultadrone - thanks for the tip. I think the caution is for people who connect charger directly between red/blk on their battery. Mine is connected between red and chassis. There is a big @ss wire from chassis to battery blk terminal, which should provide enough inductance to prevent high current spike and/or arcing. This is how CTEK recommended. Although I noted that (based on info above) they make a point to say to charge battery via the jumping points. Did you get this page from the shop manual?
Yes, it's from the shop manual. I'm by no means an expert. There are those who seem way more qualified saying that charging the battery directly (rather than at the jump posts) can cause problems or issues with the systems that monitor the battery. There are some posts on it throughout the forum. That, along with the workshop manual have me only connecting my CTEK to the jump posts in the engine bay.

But, like I said, I am no expert.

OP
OP
SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer

First Name
AP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Following up on this thread since I havenā€™t given an update after the first few days.

My Supra has worked flawlessly since the dealer made the repairs 2 months/2K miles ago.

After the repair, Iā€™ve noticed it handles a differently (in a good way). Originally, it almost lurched to one side when hard on the throttle and it was super twitchy at speed on the local toll roads (speed limits 75-85 mph although itā€™s not unusual for traffic to flow well above the posted limit). Now it feels very planted and predictable in a way that it didnā€™t initially and itā€™s much more of a pleasure to drive. I assume the factory alignment was off since the Supra tech realigned it after installing the EPS rack.

Post-repairs, itā€™s now the ideal car for me. Fast, fun, a change of pace from our other cars, and can fit my sonā€™s golf bag & pull cart when Iā€™m shuttling him to tournaments.

Now if I could just figure out a way to get it up the driveway at the driving range...?

P.S. The EPS/Safety System issues convinced me to buy a high mileage extended warranty through Jennifer at Wolverine Toyota since I tend to drive my cars for 100K++ miles (I donā€™t mod my cars so not worried about voiding it)

OP
OP
SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer

First Name
AP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
l update Tuesday when they figure out what is causing these malfunctions. Never have touched or charged battery ever since they replaced defective one in May. If it was battery that would be simple quick fix but I feel like it's a software thing this car is tripping out.
Did you get your car sorted out? just curious to see how other dealersā€™ respond to what seems like a fairly common issue with the MkV

Kato

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2020 GR Supra Phantom
Following up on this thread since I havenā€™t given an update after the first few days.

My Supra has worked flawlessly since the dealer made the repairs 2 months/2K miles ago.

After the repair, Iā€™ve noticed it handles a differently (in a good way). Originally, it almost lurched to one side when hard on the throttle and it was super twitchy at speed on the local toll roads (speed limits 75-85 mph although itā€™s not unusual for traffic to flow well above the posted limit). Now it feels very planted and predictable in a way that it didnā€™t initially and itā€™s much more of a pleasure to drive. I assume the factory alignment was off since the Supra tech realigned it after installing the EPS rack.
Glad to hear your issue had been fixed. So it sounds like a no-kidding system failure instead of battery issue that I had surmised. Good to know! What did you mean by the EPS rack?

OP
OP
SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer

First Name
AP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Glad to hear your issue had been fixed. So it sounds like a no-kidding system failure instead of battery issue that I had surmised. Good to know! What did you mean by the EPS rack?
EPS Rack = Electric Power Steering Rack.

My car had zero power steering assistance when it was towed to the dealership and the Tech wasnā€™t able to get it to communicate with the car after fixing the safety systems issue. They replaced the whole steering rack and itā€™s been flawless ever since.

Note: I scanned the BMW forums and saw several references to similar issues with the EPS rack.
Sponsored