Steering rack failure...

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
This is also coming from the guy that blew his cool cursing the auto trans when his pure turbo car didn’t run the time he wanted it to

1. Multiple shops running tens on the auto trans with stock turbo and aftermarket turbo

2. BMW M cars coming from factory with more power and running faster times with the zf trans

3. Expected to run that much torque through stock tires......

I fully saw his high trap low time coming as soon as they said it was an upgraded turbo and they were running the stock tires. Maybe instead of completely blowing your cool maybe realize it’s due to lack of traction or that you need to tune the transmission computer before landing at “the trans is a piece of shit”

As soon as that video released and I saw how he acted I immediately had no interest in their development program or any products that they release

I’ll wait for ams or ets
Sponsored

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
EAG is way off on this, they are unrelated issues. If their problem is real, it's a new problem and I wish they were being a little more focused on a diagnosis/solution. Trying to lump this in with older BMW EPS problems, and linking to repair kits for different issues, really hurts their credibility.
He’s not saying it’s the same issue. He’s just saying that BMW has had a history with EPS failures in the past. This rack failed as well as another MKV so there is def a culprit.

///Art

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
1st issue: The with the electric motor / module ecu has been sent off and verified there is an issue with the module and it is currently being repair and sent back.
2nd issue: Mechanical part of the input shaft was skipping gears due to the compressing plunger behind the "3 Hole" cap.
32-10-6-891-974 repair purchased from our Local BMW dealer, installed and solved the gear skipping issue. The motor and ecu are not back yet but now there is mechanical steering in the rack.
3rd: We noticed the faulty rack when disassembled was lacking grease, the good rack from the stock supra is packed with grease that overflowed during assembly.
BMW has been know for the electric motor and ECU thats attached to that motor failing and causing severe vibrations in the steering wheel.
Once we have received the motor/ECU from repair ISTA Version 4.14+ (BMW) has the ability to code the ECU and carry out specific alignment functions.

Photos attached.

Screenshot_20190907-153624_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20190907-153601_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20190907-153754_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_201990782.jpg

///Art

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
This is also coming from the guy that blew his cool cursing the auto trans when his pure turbo car didn’t run the time he wanted it to

1. Multiple shops running tens on the auto trans with stock turbo and aftermarket turbo

2. BMW M cars coming from factory with more power and running faster times with the zf trans

3. Expected to run that much torque through stock tires......

I fully saw his high trap low time coming as soon as they said it was an upgraded turbo and they were running the stock tires. Maybe instead of completely blowing your cool maybe realize it’s due to lack of traction or that you need to tune the transmission computer before landing at “the trans is a piece of shit”

As soon as that video released and I saw how he acted I immediately had no interest in their development program or any products that they release

I’ll wait for ams or ets
With as much power that this car can achieve and running this power, no the auto trans can not keep up. You can see in the other video the in car footage. We also experienced the transmission flaring and hunting. There are other issues with brake boost over 1500 RPMS the timing would pull back and peak boost could not be achieved, but a quick blip of the brake and throttle around 1200 RPM before launched showed Peak boost and carry over to second gear with sufficient timing. The transmission needs a trans tune to keep up with the power output. We see this in AUDI/VW all of the time and the APR Trans flash significantly improves this issue.
There was also no track prep that night.

Yes of course I was upset. And no those were not the stock tires that came on the car they were Mickey Thompsons. We later switched to ET Streets for the second video.

Also my opinions are my opinions and I express them freely.

Thank You.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
1st issue: The with the electric motor / module ecu has been sent off and verified there is an issue with the module and it is currently being repair and sent back.
2nd issue: Mechanical part of the input shaft was skipping gears due to the compressing plunger behind the "3 Hole" cap.
32-10-6-891-974 repair purchased from our Local BMW dealer, installed and solved the gear skipping issue. The motor and ecu are not back yet but now there is mechanical steering in the rack.
3rd: We noticed the faulty rack when disassembled was lacking grease, the good rack from the stock supra is packed with grease that overflowed during assembly.
BMW has been know for the electric motor and ECU thats attached to that motor failing and causing severe vibrations in the steering wheel.
Once we have received the motor/ECU from repair ISTA Version 4.14+ (BMW) has the ability to code the ECU and carry out specific alignment functions.

Photos attached.

Screenshot_20190907-153624_Video Player.jpg

I believe the visible grease you are pointing to in the first picture is only there for the o-ring seal on the case. There should not be significant grease packed into that area for lubrication purposes. That is the cavity in the case where the belt runs from the assist motor to the assist sprocket (visible in your video too). I can't speak to grease elsewhere but in that particular area there should only be minimal grease.

I did see grease in your video and it looked like what I'd expect. Not slobbered like the other rack but OK.

lemetier

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes

Photos attached.
Didn’t properly position the steering column or reset the EPS lock position sensors huh?

Then there’s this...

92389394-9169-4AA3-BB06-2218B971E4D8.jpeg

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
My car was clunking badly over uneven ground or slow speeds ... i jacked car up and removed underside skid plates and removed thrust cap on steering rack ... removed spring ... i noticed that there was very little grease ( and it had dried up and was hard..) and the thrust bush was VERY VERY stuck it took a lot of wiggling to get it out... i greased rack, bush , spring and lid ... the bush now moved much more easily ....

Clunking gone and steering feels so much better !!

Note: you dont need the BMW Repair kit and it does not fit the G29(Z4) or Supra as the rack shaft is not chamfered. Just regrease everything (rack,spring,bush and lid) liberally with FB-1 and do up lid to same amount as before you removed it.

This is by far the best thing i did to improve my cars driveability .. my car had done 7k miles. I will be adding this to my maintenance schedule and do this every 2 years.

Its an easy job .. and took 1 hour ... 30 mins of which was trying to remove the bush which was truely wedged so causing all my issues.

Last edited:

ArteM

First Name
Artem
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0
wow - No one commented - This could be a serious issue? What are the warning signs? Shaky wheel? vibrations?
I have questions,if my Supra was towed after that I feel my steering wheel not completely

ArteM

First Name
Artem
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0
I had 2 supra 1 of which was towed,then I started to feel my car very badly the steering wheel was not working correctly and I didn't know that it seemed to me that the steering rack was broken because you can't tow a car with an active steering rack, please tell me what it is?

Olser

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium | 2019 VW Golf GTI 6MT
My car was clunking badly over uneven ground or slow speeds ... i jacked car up and removed underside skid plates and removed thrust cap on steering rack ... removed spring ... i noticed that there was very little grease ( and it had dried up and was hard..) and the thrust bush was VERY VERY stuck it took a lot of wiggling to get it out... i greased rack, bush , spring and lid ... the bush now moved much more easily ....

Clunking gone and steering feels so much better !!

Note: you dont need the BMW Repair kit and it does not fit the G29(Z4) or Supra as the rack shaft is not chamfered. Just regrease everything (rack,spring,bush and lid) liberally with FB-1 and do up lid to same amount as before you removed it.

This is by far the best thing i did to improve my cars driveability .. my car had done 7k miles. I will be adding this to my maintenance schedule and do this every 2 years.

Its an easy job .. and took 1 hour ... 30 mins of which was trying to remove the bush which was truely wedged so causing all my issues.

What does this clunking you describe feel like? Ive been having an issue with my Supras steering for about 3 months that is honestly about to make me sell the car. Starting on a very hot day in late June, my supra steering has been extremely unpredicatable and displayed a number of differnt intermittent issues. Overall the steering feels more numb than normal, almost no feedback. The force needed to turn the wheel feels very inconsistent and not based on road condition/weight transfer of the car in any way. Sometimes turning the wheel requires very little input, but then turning back the other direction becomes difficult, even when trying to return the wheel to the center. This is particularly bad when highway cruising, or when the car is in Normal drive mode/Steering mode. Lastly, the car occasionally develops a notchy/stepper motor feeling on the center, this issue mostly happens with hot weather, right after hard breaking, or when driving up a steep hill/on ramps.

I've had it into numerous Toyota dealerships, the techs have either never driven anything with even decent steering feedback, have significant nerve damage in their hands, or are blatantly lying to my face about noticing the issue. I've had numerous inspections, alignments, and different sets of wheels. After months of chasing this down, I just had a 3rd party BMW shop replace the steering rack, and the issue remained the same. Absolutely pulling my hair out over the issue. Ever heard of anything like this?

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
What does this clunking you describe feel like? Ive been having an issue with my Supras steering for about 3 months that is honestly about to make me sell the car. Starting on a very hot day in late June, my supra steering has been extremely unpredicatable and displayed a number of differnt intermittent issues. Overall the steering feels more numb than normal, almost no feedback. The force needed to turn the wheel feels very inconsistent and not based on road condition/weight transfer of the car in any way. Sometimes turning the wheel requires very little input, but then turning back the other direction becomes difficult, even when trying to return the wheel to the center. This is particularly bad when highway cruising, or when the car is in Normal drive mode/Steering mode. Lastly, the car occasionally develops a notchy/stepper motor feeling on the center, this issue mostly happens with hot weather, right after hard breaking, or when driving up a steep hill/on ramps.

I've had it into numerous Toyota dealerships, the techs have either never driven anything with even decent steering feedback, have significant nerve damage in their hands, or are blatantly lying to my face about noticing the issue. I've had numerous inspections, alignments, and different sets of wheels. After months of chasing this down, I just had a 3rd party BMW shop replace the steering rack, and the issue remained the same. Absolutely pulling my hair out over the issue. Ever heard of anything like this?

Well changing the rack would have cured the issue that i had ... but honestly its a easy check to do the dealers wont remove the thrust screw and piston buts its an very easy job ... basically if the plunger is sticking it needs greasing with FB-1 grease ... always worth a go ...

but as for your issue ... now did they change the whole rack including the EPS motor .. if they avoided changing the motor it does make it easier for the mechanic cos they wont need to pair it to the car they just put your old motor on it ... so could be a dodgy EPS motor.

my issue was defo worse on hot days as the grease really dries up and the plunger does not move to keep the rack in the correct position and pressure on the pinion. my car has been so much better since simply greasing the rack as i described.

I have heard another guy have my issue with a new rack within months

does your steering knock , even will small movements or have a rubbing sound .. and knocks over small imperfections in road surfaces.

my advice is give the thrust bush a check ... mine was siezed solid ... whole about takes 60 mins with minimal tools.

good luck bud

Olser

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well changing the rack would have cured the issue that i had ... but honestly its a easy check to do the dealers wont remove the thrust screw and piston buts its an easy job ... basically if the plunger is sticking it need greasing ... always worth a go ...

but as for your issue ... now did they change the whole rack including the EPS motor .. if they avoided changing the motor it does make it easier for the mechanic cos they wont need to pair it to the car.

my issue was defo worse on hot days as the grease really dries up and the plunger does not move to keep the rack in the correct position and pressure on the pinion. my car has been so much better since simply greasing the rack as i described.

I have heard another guy have my issue with a new rack within months

does your steering knock , even will small movements or have a rubbing sound .. and knocks over small imperfections in road surfaces.

my advice is give the thrust bush a check ... mine was siezed solid ... whole about takes 60 mins with minimal tools.

good luck bud
They replaced the entire rack and motor. Car honestly feels exactly the same after they did it, and if it wasn't for the old part sitting in my garage I almost wouldn't believe anything changed. The steering makes no audible noise inside the cabin, (maybe a bit of motor whirring) but from underneath the car you can hear a faint click as the wheel crosses center.

With the front of the car up in the air I can also feel a sublte catch while turning across center, but I dont always feel the same thing with the car on and sitting on the ground. Ive also tried greasing the steering U joint, which change the feel, made steering a bit lighter, but honeltly seemed to make the rest of the steering problems more pronounced.

Ill have to try adjusted the thrust cap, but I'll be absolutley floored if it was the same across two differnt racks. Ill probably mess around with the "spare" rack first and see hot things look. Thanks.

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
They replaced the entire rack and motor. Car honestly feels exactly the same after they did it, and if it wasn't for the old part sitting in my garage I almost wouldn't believe anything changed. The steering makes no audible noise inside the cabin, (maybe a bit of motor whirring) but from underneath the car you can hear a faint click as the wheel crosses center.

With the front of the car up in the air I can also feel a sublte catch while turning across center, but I dont always feel the same thing with the car on and sitting on the ground. Ive also tried greasing the steering U joint, which change the feel, made steering a bit lighter, but honeltly seemed to make the rest of the steering problems more pronounced.

Ill have to try adjusted the thrust cap, but I'll be absolutley floored if it was the same across two differnt racks. Ill probably mess around with the "spare" rack first and see hot things look. Thanks.

i take it all suspension is stock .. ive heard that its easy to misalign the spring in the top hat when installing replacement shocks/spings ?

Olser

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
i take it all suspension is stock .. ive heard that its easy to misalign the spring in the top hat when installing replacement shocks/spings ?
Yep, the car is bone stock.
Sponsored